PDA

View Full Version : Are they the same child?

Kit
29-01-12, 10:38
Nicholas and Grace Trenwith have a daughter Elizabeth baptised at St Mary, Penzance on 29 June 1806.

On 27 July 1808 they have a 2 year old daughter Elizabeth baptised.

There are no burials available to view for the parish for this timeframe and the Cornwall OPCs don't start until 1813.

It would be the same child wouldn't it? I haven't seen any other baptisms in this time.

So why would they baptise the child a second time?

The only thing I can think is that she was sickly and the name was important. They have another 2 Elizabeth's who are baptised in 1820 and 1825.

tenterfieldjulie
29-01-12, 10:44
Toni email the OPC, while the records may not be online, they will probably have access to the records and will only be too happy to oblige.

kiterunner
29-01-12, 10:55
Without the burials it's impossible to say, as it could be that the first Elizabeth died very soon after being baptised and then another Elizabeth was born soon after. Or does it give a date of birth on the 1806 baptism? I'm thinking that if it says she was born in June 1806 then they couldn't have had another baby born soon enough to be 2 in July 1808.

Merry
29-01-12, 11:09
I agree with kate.

I suppose if it is the same child then perhaps the first entry refers to a private baptism and the second when the child was welcomed into the church? I have seen entries where, if you removed the bits of the entries letting you know this was what the events were, you would be left with what looked like two baps.

Muggins in Sussex
29-01-12, 11:28
This tree shows a death for an Elizabeth in 1809 ( born 1808) http://www.ivyonline.co.uk/nicholas%20trenwith%20and%20grace%20williams.html

I don't know if that's any help or where it came from:confused:

tenterfieldjulie
29-01-12, 11:34
With my Bryants in Cornwall, Joseph died one year, the next year another Joseph is baptised, then when Catherine died aged 21, four months later another Catherine was baptised. It seems to be a tradition in certain families that when one child died the next child is given the same name..
In one of my Smiths in Australia three daughters were named Mary after their mother. She did have 18 children, thankfully the third Mary survived.

Kit
30-01-12, 00:37
Thanks everyone.

There are no dates of birth on this register, although many of the Cornwall ones are good, at least where my rellies lived.

Merry I've seen that before. I'm sure this register has the word private somewhere in the entry. I've only seen one welcomed into the church and I assumed that person was more upperclass than my lot. :)

Thanks for the link Muggins.They don't have the 1820 Elizabeth, neither did the OPC. I'm feeling sorry for that poor child. Looking at the parents for Nicholas though they repeat names on the death of a child, so it is a family thing.

I might have to contact the OPC. I don't like bothering people but if they have the info handy that's fine.

tenterfieldjulie
02-02-12, 06:40
Toni it is quite normal if a child is in danger of death that the baby be baptised in hospital or at home. Then if the child survives, there is a public ceremony, basically where they are welcomed into the church community.