28-01-12, 12:01
Name - "official" name and what they were known as: Janet Robertson
Date and place of birth: Unknown
Names of parents: Unknown
Date and place of baptism - if applicable: Unknown
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any:
Donald Scott, 10 May 1823, Little Dunkeld, Perthshire, Scotland
Occupation(s) - if any:Unknown
Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!):
1841 – Aged 40, Piece: SCT1841/373, Place: Little Dunkeld - Perth, Enumeration District: 3, Civil Parish: Little Dunkeld, Folio: 3,Page: 8
Address: Burnside Of Little Dunkeld
1851 - Cannot find
1861 - Cannot find
Date, place and cause of death: Unknown, some time before November 1866 as she is listed as deceased as per one of the marriage registers for a son.
Date and place of burial: Unknown
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable: Unknown
Memorial inscription - if any: Unknown

kiterunner
29-01-12, 19:09
Have you found any of the family in 1851 or 1861, Wendy?

WendyLF
30-01-12, 16:32
I have only really looked for and found her daughter Margaret. I have her, Margaret that is, in the 1851 - 1901 Census. But as she married pre 1855, there are no references to parents. In 1851 Margaret is a house servant in the same household as her future husband. I did try a few combinations with her husbands name but no luck.

kiterunner
30-01-12, 16:34
And have you viewed the image of Donald and Janet's marriage record? If so, does it give any extra information?

WendyLF
30-01-12, 18:09
I didn't view it until now as all the pre 1855 marriages that I have looked at to date have offered no additional information (and at 5 credits a shot becomes expensive), traced the marriage via IGI and then spent the 1 credit to verify on ScotlandsPeople. Have now just viewed it and there may be something but I cannot make it out - see below:

kiterunner
30-01-12, 18:36
Yes, there is indeed!

May 30th Donald Scott farmer in Easter Ballachraggin & Janet Robertson D[aughte]r to John Robertson Hightown of Ballinloan - no objections.

Not sure about those place names as Google doesn't recognise them - I'll see if I can work out what they are supposed to be. But anyway, now we know the name of Janet's father!

WendyLF
30-01-12, 18:42
Thanks Kate:D, would never have viewed it based on past experience if you had not posed the question.

kiterunner
30-01-12, 18:45
Okay, the first farm name is more commonly Easter Ballachraggan:
Europeana photo (http://www.europeana.eu/portal/record/00401/7D30267FA502B1BCC14B9C93138B9E5CD970C3D0.html)

The other one is Ballinloan but I'm not sure about the Hightown bit yet:
http://www.ballinloan.co.uk/aboutus.html

kiterunner
30-01-12, 18:53
Ah, Scotland's People has a will of John Robertson, tenant at Ballenloan, parish of Little Dunkeld, 18/03/1843, Perth Sheriff Court, reference SC49/31/35, 11 pages, £5.

WendyLF
30-01-12, 19:22
Thanks Kate, but paid to downlaod and think I got short changed;(, have sent off a query with regards the 11 pages vs 2 I got to see. It appears to have nothing to do with his testament only a mention of:

kiterunner
30-01-12, 21:41
I seem to remember that you have to download those Scottish wills in sets of 2 pages, so are you sure there wasn't a button marked "View Page After (Paid)"?

WendyLF
31-01-12, 16:44
:o Yes, now downloaded.......his son James is listed as his only son and heir. Seems John died 05.04.1842.

kiterunner
31-01-12, 17:08
I wonder if he could be Janet's brother rather than her father then. I'll see if I can find anything out.

kiterunner
31-01-12, 19:22
Ancestry has a transcription of a household at Ballanloan, Little Dunkeld, Perthshire, on the 1841 census, headed by John Robertson farmer age 85 with James age 55, Robert 25 William 15 Elizabeth 20 Susan 15 so I reckon that it is most likely the right John, and that James was his only son and maybe Janet had already had her share when she got married? I expect Robert, William etc are James's children.

kiterunner
31-01-12, 22:01
There are a few possible baptisms for James as we only have a very rough year of birth from the 1841 census. There is a will on Scotland's People for James Robertson farmer and grazier, sometime in Ballinloan, thereafter residing at Glenlyon House, 27 Mar 1848, so it doesn't look likely that we will find him on the 1851 census to get a better idea of when he was born. And I don't suppose his will would mention a sister if he had children.

kiterunner
01-02-12, 10:16
Ancestry has a database called Perth Newspaper Index Cards which I've never noticed before, and it has an entry for John Robertson's obituary - date of death 5th Apr 1842 age 89, Ballinloan, Strathbraan. Reference is PA 1842 Apr 7th page 2 column 7.

PA = Perthshire Advertiser.

Unfortunately the Perthshire Advertiser isn't included in the British Newspaper Archive or 19th century Newspapers Online but apparently microfilm copies are available for research at the AK Bell Library in Perth. Hopefully the obituary would say whether Janet was his daughter.

kiterunner
01-02-12, 10:28
The National Archives of Scotland online catalogue has an entry for GD57 Records of Messrs Burnett and Reid, Advocates, Aberdeen 1640-1880

Country code GB
Repository code 234
Repository National Archives of Scotland
Reference GD57/1/308
Title Conditions of Let and Missive for the farm of Tullichmullin and Ardtrastert in parish of Fortingal to James and John Robertson residing in Ballinloan of Strathbrane
Dates 30 Apr 1842

kiterunner
01-02-12, 13:00
By the way, does the will that you downloaded make any reference to Hightown?

WendyLF
01-02-12, 17:18
WOW thanks for all the info. May need to plan a trip to Scotland LOL. It will at least keep me busy. With regards the will, I just re-read it and cannot see any reference to Hightown. Reference is made to "John Archibald Drummond Stewart" and his heirs with regards payment of rent I think.

kiterunner
01-02-12, 21:51
I knew I'd thought of another idea while I was out, but when I got home I couldn't remember it! Now at last I remember what it was! This did come in useful for my tree, but like with the marriage, I can't say if it will be any help with yours without using SP credits.

Some Scottish baptism records have the names of witnesses on them, who are often relatives, so it could be that if you view the image of the baptism record for one (or more) of Donald and Janet's children, there might be a relative or two named in there. On the other hand, there might well not be. My Scottish ancestors came from Edinburgh and I found loads of witness names on their baptisms (I still haven't paid up to view all of the records yet! Must do some more some time) but I don't know whether there will be any in Perthshire.

WendyLF
03-02-12, 15:00
Sorry for the late response was in the middle of the post last night when the kids decided they no longer "liked" each other:mad:..........Anyhow, did a check on the baptism/birth of who I think is their eldest child and there are no witnesses, actually none for anyone on the page:(. I have now tracked her husband and 3 youngest children on a 1861 Census and he is listed as a widow, so Janet died pre 1861. So far have had no luck tracing this but, will continue searching bearing all the info you provided in mind. Thanks again:).