PDA

View Full Version : Sophia Griffiths

maggie_4_7
13-01-12, 18:36
My OH’s mother's mother's father's mother's father's mother.

Name:
Sophia Griffiths

Date and place of birth:
About 1780 place unknown possibly London

Names of parents:
Unknown

Date and place of baptism:
Unknown

Details of each of his or her marriages:
Marriage to William Brooks on 29 April 1799 at Christchurch, Spitalfields, London, England

Link to their son Samuel Brooks http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=10023&highlight=brooks

Unknown

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK):
Not found any census

Date, place and cause of death:
Unknown

Date and place of burial:
Unknown

Details of will / administration of their estate:
Unknown

Memorial inscription - if any:
Unknown

kiterunner
14-01-12, 13:49
One of the witnesses at her marriage is a Samuel Griffiths with a middle name that I can't read. (The other one is a serial witness.) Maybe we can find reference to him somewhere else to work out what it says.

JayG
14-01-12, 16:46
When I viewed the marriage Ancestry shows me 'suggested records' for Sophia Griffiths/Brooks.

Burial, Hackney > Shoreditch St Leonard
Sophia Brooks, workhouse, 1 July 1842 aged 60

This record is saved in a public tree called Bedford. They have her as Sophia Maria Griffiths born 1780 daughter of Walter Griffiths & Jane McDonald. There doesn't appear to be any sources so obviously you've need to verify this.

Kate - I think it might be John, looks to me like he's gone to sign Samuel Griffiths, signed the first few letters of Griffiths then overwritten/signed it as John.

EDIT - there's quite a few trees with her parents as Walter & Jane, tho lacking any source!

JayG
14-01-12, 17:01
I don't know if that is her burial in 1842, but this baptism ties in age wise

City of London > St Andrew by the Wardrobe
Sophia Griffiths daughter of Charles & Mary, 6 Sept 1781

maggie_4_7
14-01-12, 17:18
Yes I've seen that tree but I can't work out where they got the information from I have searched and couldn't find anything.

BTW I don't know why I put 1772 for her approx DOB more like 1780 I would think.

There is a death reg for that burial so I will send for the death certificate at some point but I have a list that I am working my way through slowly to disperse the cost a bit :)

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=freebmddeath&h=4311234&ti=5538&indiv=try&gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t267874_p-1518087471_kpidz0q3d-1518087471z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgPLz0q3dpid

Not sure what that middle name is but you could be right about Samuel deciding to write a middle name after starting Griffiths.