PDA

View Full Version : E Rolls - 'J'

Asa
13-01-12, 12:36
I read on an opening page that 'J' stands for eligibility for jury service - why would there be so few who were eligible on any given page?

Merry
13-01-12, 13:20
I wonder if you google about the Morris committee mentioned below whether that would give further insight into pre-1972 juries?

The Basic Qualifications
Before 1972, and the Morris Committee report on jury service, in order to qualify for jury service you had to be an owner of a house or a tenant of a dwelling.

This restriction meant that women and young people were less likely to qualify for jury service as they were less likely to own their own property or rent a dwelling in their own name.

As a result of this the juries were not very representative of the community, they were more likely to have a vast male opinion and approach to justice, which could be argued was very discriminatory and biased.

Asa
13-01-12, 15:08
Ah thanks Merry - will do that. It seemed odd to me

Sue from Southend
13-01-12, 16:17
I think a lot of professions could claim exemption from jury duty too, My Dad was a Postman and got out of JD as he was a "civil servant"!

Asa
13-01-12, 18:49
Thanks Sue - I didn't know any of this - I thought votes for women getting the vote meant everyone over 21 was eligible :s

Kit
15-01-12, 10:03
Thanks Asa for asking. My grandad had the "J" and I was wondering how he was eligible.

I have to say I am surprised he owned property in London, I have to say I thought they rented before coming to Australia.

Merry
15-01-12, 10:38
Thanks Asa for asking. My grandad had the "J" and I was wondering how he was eligible.

I have to say I am surprised he owned property in London, I have to say I thought they rented before coming to Australia.

Depending on the date a tenant could be a juror (the person named in the rent book), but not always any other adult male family members who lived with him.

Kit
15-01-12, 11:00
I'm talking about the 1950's Merry.

They could very well have owned something, I just had it in my head they didn't. I'll have to ask Dad.

Merry
15-01-12, 13:50
A tenant in the 1950s would have been eligible unless they fitted any of the exemption criteria.

Kit
16-01-12, 01:10
Thanks Merry.