PDA

View Full Version : Reg Districts c1897

Rachel
13-01-12, 10:56
If someone was born within the sound of Bow Bells in abt 1897, which reg districts might I need to search ?

This is the pesky grandfather-in-law who has no birth cert. showing anywhere in England, Wales or Scotland.

One possibility is that he began life with a different name so I'm searching for ? anything really ;(

Merry
13-01-12, 11:05
I remember reading a website years ago discussing where Bow bells can be regularly heard now and in the Victorian era etc. The area was massive and extended a lot more in one direction than the other, but I don't remember the details :o

So I'm no help at all :o

Do we know about this person already?

Merry
13-01-12, 11:20
Do I take it he can't be positively identified in 1901 or 1911?

Rachel
13-01-12, 12:38
I remember reading a website years ago discussing where Bow bells can be regularly heard now and in the Victorian era etc. The area was massive and extended a lot more in one direction than the other, but I don't remember the details :o

So I'm no help at all :o

Do we know about this person already?

Do I take it he can't be positively identified in 1901 or 1911?

Correct Merry
I PMd you last year and we drew a blank.
You did suggest contacting Sheffield Uni but OH would have had to do that and the inclination never kicked in.

I'm working on one of the BILs, who may lend a hand with the search

kiterunner
13-01-12, 12:43
Googling around for discussions of this question led me to this map (the decibels thing is for background noise levels):
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r297/MutleyBG/CockneyAreaMap.jpg

Should help with selecting districts.

Rachel
13-01-12, 13:16
Oooo cheers Kate
Quite a wide area as Merry says then .... hmmmmm

I had a quick look at the new Ancestry Electoral Registers (no sub now) but it looks like the only one with his father's name is the one we discounted on the censuses.
Apparently his father was a Mechanical Engineer.