PDA

View Full Version : Streatham in e rolls

Phoenix
13-01-12, 10:41
Is it covered? I can't remember whether it was part of the London Boroughs before 1965. It seems a long way north of here, but it might have been Surrey still in the 1940s.

Merry
13-01-12, 11:02
My understanding of London geography isn't very good, but I looked on the 1911 for people living in the subdistrict of Streatham (listed under Wandsworth, London by Ancestry) and then looked for the same people on the erolls and found them for the 1911ish period listed under the Parliamentary Division and County or Borough of Wandsworth. However, I can't say whether the people I looked at were definitely living in Streatham just because they were in that sub distict, as I'm not sure exactly what it covered. Plus I can't tell you if the designation changed later!

Mary from Italy
13-01-12, 11:22
Yes, it's covered, I've already found somebody there.

Langley Vale Sue
13-01-12, 12:54
Yes, I found my Father-in-law, his brother & their mother in Streatham in 1935.

Phoenix
13-01-12, 16:20
Sobs plaintively: boarders patently didn't count! No trace of someone I was looking for.

Mary from Italy
13-01-12, 17:43
Boarders would certainly count in the 1940s if they registered to vote at that address the previous October, which suggests that they were living somewhere else.

Phoenix
16-01-12, 12:32
Boarders would certainly count in the 1940s if they registered to vote at that address the previous October, which suggests that they were living somewhere else.

Surely it is not the boarder themself that has the responsibility for registering, but the head of household? For most of my life someone else has been responsible for ensuring my entitlement. I would imagine that a lot of people fell through the net.

Joy Dean
16-01-12, 12:52
My OH has family in Streatham in the electoral registers up to 1960 something.

Joy Dean
16-01-12, 13:03
There were no registers 1940 to 1944.

Mary from Italy
16-01-12, 13:10
Surely it is not the boarder themself that has the responsibility for registering, but the head of household? For most of my life someone else has been responsible for ensuring my entitlement. I would imagine that a lot of people fell through the net.

Oh, I hadn't realised that; now I think about it, I was always the head of the household when I voted in England. I just assumed everyone filled in their own forms.