PDA

View Full Version : Latin? at end of will

ElizabethHerts
12-01-12, 13:43
I have almost finished transcribing a will, but there are three or four words right at the end which look like Latin. The handwriting is different to the rest of the document for this section:

"James Purkis and Samuel Purkis the Executors abovenamed were duly sworn well and faithfully to administer and made oath that the Goods Chattels Rights and Credits of the Deceased did not at the Time of his Death amount in value to the Sum of Three Hundred Pounds as they would believe. The Deceased having at the time of his Death Effects in Divores?? Jurisdict... "

I haven't found the phrase by googling, so if anyone knows what it might be I'd be very grateful.

kiterunner
12-01-12, 13:48
I think it must mean "divers" jurisdictions i.e. he had property in more than one jurisdiction, so his will had to be proved at a court that covered both (or all) of those places.

Merry
12-01-12, 13:59
I think it must mean "divers" jurisdictions i.e. he had property in more than one jurisdiction, so his will had to be proved at a court that covered both (or all) of those places.

That sounds very likely :)

ElizabethHerts
12-01-12, 14:50
Many thanks, Kite that makes sense.

Mary from Italy
12-01-12, 15:44
Yes, it's commonly used in legal documents.

Asa
12-01-12, 16:56
I'm sure divers means 'more than one' but more as in 'several' or 'various' - I suppose it's related to diverse?

ElizabethHerts
12-01-12, 17:11
Thanks, everyone, the main problem was the handwriting. Now I know what it says it is blindingly obvious. LOL!

Mary from Italy
12-01-12, 17:36
Yes, it means "several".

Phoenix
13-01-12, 08:28
If it's actually post 1733 - and I assume it is - it seems odd that they are using Latin in a public document. (Though I suppose there are all sorts of odd phrases that never quite made it into English, like obiter dicta)

Mary from Italy
13-01-12, 11:20
"Divers" isn't actually Latin, though.

Anstey Nomad
18-01-12, 17:25
'in divers jurisdictions' ain't yer actual Latin - if it's anything it's legalese...

AN