PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Index to Parish Registers

Rishile
12-01-12, 09:06
I'm not sure what has happened here and I'm hoping some of you clever people could help me.

I found a book in the Tyler Index to Parish Registers on Ancestry all about the Filmer family. My Gt. Grandmother was a Filmer so I thought I had a real capture. I have traced them back to about my Gtx5 grandparents (sorry to be vague but I don't have my information with me at the moment) so I thought this book would be able to add some more information.

Not really knowing where to start I managed to get all the Filmer information onto a spreadsheet and put it all in date order hoping that I could highlight any information I had leaving anything I didn't have to give me some more information. However, the only Filmers I found in this list are my Gtx3 grandparents marriage and their three children's births and an early death for one of those children. Nothing else from my tree is in there.

So, my question is - how come only one generation is listed in this book? The Filmers on my tree all came from villages around the area in the book.

Does anyone have any clues about what I can do next?

Rishile

kiterunner
12-01-12, 09:33
There seem to be loads of Filmers on that database (with various spellings - I used Fil*m*r as a search term). Can you say how to find the particular book that you mention, please?

Are you saying there is only one generation of Filmers in the book, or only one generation from your tree in among all the other Filmers? And if you can give us some details of who is missing that you were expecting to find, I'll have a look in case I can find them. But I don't know exactly how Tyler decided what and who to include and who to leave out.

Rishile
12-01-12, 09:44
Hi Kiterunner

Here is the link to the book

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=1901&path=Surname+Filmers+and+Others

There is only one generation from my tree mentioned in the book but about 300 Filmer (including the various spellings) records in the book itself.

There is another book - here is the link http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=1901&path=Surname+Filmer+etc

This also has some handwritten trees which may or may not be for the Filmers (it's difficult to tell).

I was particularly looking for Jeffrey Filmer born somewhere around 1650 but he doesn't appear in there.

I am finding the whole thing quite baffling.

Rishile

kiterunner
12-01-12, 10:59
Do you know which parish he was from? I can only think that either your Filmers weren't part of the Filmer tree that Tyler was researching, or he didn't have access to the register for that particular parish.

Rishile
12-01-12, 11:08
Hi Kiterunner

I will have to check that later tonight and get back to you.

The generation I found was from Doddington but I'm not sure about the rest.

Thanks for your help
Rishile