PDA

View Full Version : So stuck!!!! & new to this!

megface
09-01-12, 18:21
I'm using ancestry, and I have completely struck a dead end, with mine and my partners family tree :/
Could someone possibly help?
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/25215201/family
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/25259099/family

There are our family trees :)

Margaret in Burton
09-01-12, 18:43
I can't look at those as I don't have an Ancestry sub at the moment.

For a guess you need to be a little more specific in what is is you are looking for.

ElizabethHerts
09-01-12, 18:50
I don't have Ancestry either, so if you'd like help please post details of what you are looking for.

Welcome to the site, we are a friendly bunch here, and you should get a lot of good help.

WendyLF
09-01-12, 18:50
Agree with Marge, I can view the trees but have no idea what it is you are stuck with. Not that my abilities :oare as great as some of our members.

megface
09-01-12, 19:13
it's easier to start with my OH as is tree is so tiny atm! & we are getting NOWHERE.

Basically there is someone on his fathers side of the family. A Goronwy (we think) Owen, however, even though Goronwy is a uncommon name, we cannot find anything to do with this person!
There is also the fact we cannot move past his great grandad (on his grandads side), as we are unsure where to look.
So far, we have his great grandad, a George Owen, with no spouse & no dates.
And his great-grandad Alfred Davies on his grandmas side.

Margaret in Burton
09-01-12, 19:30
it's easier to start with my OH as is tree is so tiny atm! & we are getting NOWHERE.

Basically there is someone on his fathers side of the family. A Goronwy (we think) Owen, however, even though Goronwy is a uncommon name, we cannot find anything to do with this person!
There is also the fact we cannot move past his great grandad (on his grandads side), as we are unsure where to look.
And his great-grandad Alfred Davies on his grandmas side.

You need to be a bit more specific. Don't name living people. Give as much info as you can. Dates, names and places.

Merry
09-01-12, 19:44
Welcome to the forum!

Everyone is right, imagine if we all start looking at your trees and start giving information about different people - it would be extremely confusing and we wouldn't be bouncing ideas of each other.

I saw this bit on your tree:

I see you have William Edward Owen b 28th Sept 1909 (sorry I'm having to remember the details, so I hope that's right). if you know where he was born (should be on his death cert) maybe we can find him on the 1911 census. (father is George for those who can't see). Please can we have his father's occupation from his marriage cert.

Merry
09-01-12, 19:49
I presume he is one of these two:

Births Dec 1909
OWEN William Edward Liverpool 8b 57
Owen William Edward Lichfield 6b 438

Merry
09-01-12, 19:55
I've just realised his date of birth is only taken from his death registration. Do you have any certificates for him?

Uncle John
09-01-12, 21:40
Goronwy is actually quite a popular Welsh name. As Julie Andrews told us, "start at the very beginning, a very good place to start". You do need to go back one generation at a time and make sure you've got it right. Now that the 1911 censuses are online, you only have to go back 2 or 3 generations to find whole families together, if you are lucky.

kiterunner
09-01-12, 22:00
It looks to me as though the next thing you need to do is order a copy of William Edward Owen and Margaret Elvira Davies' marriage certificate, if you haven't already got it, as that should give your their fathers' occupations, and it will also give you the addresses where they were living and the names of the witnesses, which may well be useful with surnames like Owen and Davies.

Maybe someone in your family already has the marriage certificate somewhere? If not then you can order a copy from the GRO:
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

or from Lancashire BMD:
http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk/cgi/marrind.cgi?county=lancashire

When you have the certificate, if you can post up the information from it on here we should be able to help you trace the families back from there.