PDA

View Full Version : Details required for a Boyle marriage - Ireland

WendyLF
08-01-12, 14:13
I'm just noting this down in case it should prove any use later (a rather long shot!!)

Should you get the Boyle/Wilson marriage cert and Joseph's father turns out to be Robert Boyle, a shoemaker......(so if he isn't a shoemaker, then probably forget about this....)

In 1861 there's a family comprising of

Robert Boyle head married 48 shoemaker b Tyrone, Ireland
Eliza Boyle wife married 44 b Ireland (could also be Tyrone, depending on how much the ditto is ditto-ing!)
Joseph Boyle son 15 joiners apprentice b Belfast, Ireland
Robert Boyle son 11 errand boy b Belfast, Ireland
Anne Morgan lodger widow 69 b Edinburgh

The occ for Joseph is difficult to read. apart from the J it actually looks more like turners apprentice than joiners apprentice, but looking at other writing on the page I think joiner is possibly more likely. Obviously it would be better if this youngman was a shipwrights apprentice! lol

Their address is 61 Collins Street, Toxteth Park

Moving to 1871 I have not been able to find either of the sons from the above, but neither have I found obvious death for them, so I looked for the parents in any case:

At the same address as in 1861 we have the following with quite different ages, but keep reading! lol

Robert Boyle head married 71 shoemaker b Ireland
Elizabeth Boyle wife married 51 b Ireland
Emma Roberts boarder married 40 b London

and in 1881, same address again:

Robert Boyle head married 81 shoemaker b Ireland
Eliza Boyle wife married 61 b Ireland

Strangely, at death Robert seems to have reverted to his 1861 year of birth.

Name: Robert Boyle
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1814
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1886
Age at Death: 72
Registration district: Toxteth Park
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 185

Name: Eliza Boyle
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1888
Age at Death: 67
Registration district: Toxteth Park
Inferred County: Lancashire
Volume: 8b
Page: 130

Can anyone assit with details with regards the marriage of Robert Boyle and Eliza which I presume would have been in Ireland? Based on the above from Merry:cool: I think it could be either Belfast or Tyrone. I also do not know if they had any other children so the marriage could have been way before 1846. I have had no joy with the searches I have done so far.

kiterunner
08-01-12, 14:22
There are a few marriages on FamilySearch but don't know if any of them is the one you're looking for. Also not all Irish records have survived, in fact a lot haven't.

2 Jul 1846 Dublin Robert Boyle / Eliza Fisher
4 Sep 1847 Ireland Robert Boyle, son of John Boyle, married Eliza Perry
22 Apr 1859 Newtownards, Down Robert Boyle, son of Robert Boyle, married Eliza McKee
21 Nov 1859 Castlederg, Tyr, Robert Boyle, son of John Boyle, married Elizabeth Laughlin.

We need to look into these more to see if any of these are possible or can be ruled out.

WendyLF
08-01-12, 14:27
Would they have married after the birth of their first child? if so how long after do you think?

kiterunner
08-01-12, 15:44
But do we know for sure that Eliza was the mother of any of the children, Wendy? She could be a second wife, couldn't she?

kiterunner
08-01-12, 16:18
Ancestry Ireland / Ulster Historical Foundation has a birth or baptism for a Robert Boyle in County Antrim in 1851, father's name Robert and mother's name Eliza. You have to pay to view the full record though.

Ancestry Ireland search (http://www.ancestryireland.com/database.php?filename=db_QUIS_advanced2)

Not sure what extra information it will give you on the record.

garstonite
08-01-12, 16:47
I am not trying to steer you away from your research , but just to let you know Garston is nicknamed "Little Wicklow "...a huge amount of Irish immigrants , although settling in various parts of Liverpool on arrival, eventually ended up in Garston with their families...so...if you happen to see a Wicklow marriage for a Robert Boyle to an Eliza, I would not discount it....allan

WendyLF
09-01-12, 08:08
Ancestry Ireland / Ulster Historical Foundation has a birth or baptism for a Robert Boyle in County Antrim in 1851, father's name Robert and mother's name Eliza. You have to pay to view the full record though.

Ancestry Ireland search (http://www.ancestryireland.com/database.php?filename=db_QUIS_advanced2)

Not sure what extra information it will give you on the record.

Thanks Kate, the record provided the mothers maiden name as Wilson (another one) and at least it ties up to Belfast which was listed on the 1861 census for Robert Jnr's place of birth. Unfortunately couldn't find a marriage but possibly because Tyrone does not appear to be covered.

kiterunner
09-01-12, 08:24
Did it show the father's occupation, Wendy?

kiterunner
09-01-12, 08:31
County Tyrone is on Roots Ireland but they don't have a Robert Boyle / Eliza(beth) Wilson marriage.

WendyLF
09-01-12, 08:56
Unfortunately not Kate - It's blank or was not transcribed

kiterunner
09-01-12, 09:05
I'd forgotten that Joseph's full name was Joseph Wilson Boyle, though, so it's bound to be the right family, isn't it?

WendyLF
09-01-12, 09:20
Yes I agree, now just to see if there is any way of tracing it even though I am aware about the record situation for Ireland.

kiterunner
09-01-12, 09:24
Does Robert jr's baptism give an address where they lived?

WendyLF
09-01-12, 09:27
This is all there is:
Address1 BELFAST
Address2 Shankill
Address3 Belfast
Address4 Antrim