PDA

View Full Version : Help to settle an argument!

KiwiChris
07-01-12, 19:19
Katherine Sheepshanks b 1832 Falmouth Cornwall married Rev Frederick Septimus Stockdale b .

The Sheepshanks are a large clergy family with 3 brothers Thomas John and James all priests.
I think that Katherine was the daughter of Thomas Sheepshank and his wife Katherine who ended up in Coventry, my friend insists she was the daughter of John who was in Cornwall, but I have no idea why he thinks that except she was b Cornwall.
I can only find one Katherine/Catherine and she belongs to Thomas, can anyone find another one that I might be missing?

kiterunner
07-01-12, 19:23
The marriage is transcribed on FamilySearch and it gives her father's name as Thomas on there. Maybe the image will be on ancestry? Not got time to look just now but it's 7 Jul 1859 St Michael, Coventry, Warwickshire.

KiwiChris
07-01-12, 19:34
Yes!

Thanks Kate.

KiwiChris
07-01-12, 19:41
The marriage does not appear to be on Ancestry, but I am happy to go with family search. My friend seems to have a few bits and pieces of information about the family which is not correct, I am trying to work out where the information came from originally, there are a couple of deaths which are quite wrong as well.

Mary from Italy
07-01-12, 19:43
Ancestry doesn't seem to have all the Coventry churches yet.

KiwiChris
07-01-12, 21:25
I am going nuts, it is on Ancestry but there is a big black blob where the names of their fathers should be!

kiterunner
07-01-12, 22:11
I am going nuts, it is on Ancestry but there is a big black blob where the names of their fathers should be!

Looks as though that part of the page hasn't survived, but you can see the "Th" at the beginning of Thomas, also it appears to be a double wedding with her sister Mary marrying a Francis William Lamb. John Sheepshanks has signed both marriage certs as the vicar who married them.

Kit
08-01-12, 02:47
John Sheepshanks has signed both marriage certs as the vicar who married them.

Maybe this is why your friend thinks that John is the father?

KiwiChris
08-01-12, 03:37
My friend has now agreed with me/us! Thanks for the help.

ElizabethHerts
08-01-12, 09:55
Looks as though that part of the page hasn't survived, but you can see the "Th" at the beginning of Thomas, also it appears to be a double wedding with her sister Mary marrying a Francis William Lamb. John Sheepshanks has signed both marriage certs as the vicar who married them.

A diversion here, but two sisters -
one marrying a SHEEPSHANKS
one marrying a LAMB

I notice these things - I'm a Lamb!

Merry
08-01-12, 10:13
lol I love that!! What other sheep orientated names are there?

kiterunner
08-01-12, 10:54
A diversion here, but two sisters -
one marrying a SHEEPSHANKS
one marrying a LAMB

I notice these things - I'm a Lamb!

Sheepshanks is the sisters' surname before marriage. Neither of them married a Sheepshanks, sorry.

ElizabethHerts
08-01-12, 12:00
Sheepshanks is the sisters' surname before marriage. Neither of them married a Sheepshanks, sorry.

I should have read the whole thread from the beginning, Kite. Still, a lovely connection.

KiwiChris
08-01-12, 17:01
We were laughing about the names yesterday, one of the Sheepshank clergy went to the Sandwich Islands, and somone commented that it was a pity an Australian clergy family, the Cakebreads, did not join them there for a good meal!

I completely missed the Lambs!