PDA

View Full Version : British Newspaper Archive - Genes Reunited

kiterunner
06-01-12, 08:07
Searches are free and you can buy GR credits to view images:
GR British Newspaper Archive search (http://www.genesreunited.com/searchbna.page/index?datavolume=britishnewspaperarchives)

50 credits for £5 (valid for 30 days) or 200 credits for £17.95 (valid for 90 days).

I haven't been able to find out how many GR credits it costs to view an image though which makes it difficult to compare with the deals available on the British Newspaper Archive's own site (500 credits for £6.95 valid for 2 days or 3000 credits for £29.95 valid for 30 days, 12 month sub for £79.95). On the BNA's own site images cost 5 credits (over 107 years old, black and white scan), 10 credits (over 107 years old, colour scan), or 15 credits (less than 107 years old).

kiterunner
06-01-12, 10:39
Hmmm, it seems to suggest in GR's announcement that access is included in their "Platinum" membership, which they say costs £6.67 per month for 12 months, taken as one lump sum, i.e. about £80 for a year's membership. Other options for Platinum membership are £19.95 for one month or about £50 for six months.

So if I understand this correctly, you can pay GR £19.95 to get unlimited access to the BNA for one month? (Or £80 for a year.) And it also includes 1841 - 1911 censuses and BMD indexes plus of course the ability to contact other GR members and view their trees. The census and BMD searches on GR tend not to be very good compared to the search facilities on other sites (but of course you can search for free on another site to narrow things down and then you know what to look for on GR) but it looks to me as though if you want a sub to the BNA it is much better to go via GR than the actual BNA site, unless there's a catch somewhere that I'm missing?

Edit - never mind, I've found something which explains that access to the BNA is an "Additional Feature" which you have to pay extra for on top of your Platinum membership! As for how much extra, I don't know, but I'm sure it means there is no point.

kiterunner
06-01-12, 10:43
Okay, I've found the credit cost and it costs 5 credits on GR to view BNA content.
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/default.aspx?fk=258

So you would only get to view 10 images for your £5 which is very poor value compared to the credits on the BNA site.

Merry
14-01-12, 09:44
Thank you for working this out for us, Kate.

Do you know if there is a list of the coverage for the BNA anywhere? I would like to compare what they have with what I can view on Gale for nothing! :o

kiterunner
14-01-12, 10:27
Yes, on their home page (BNA not GR) just click on the "Search by Publication" dropdown menu and it gives you a list of all the papers included so far and their date ranges.

Merry
14-01-12, 10:49
Thanks Kate.