PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Census, disclosure of information - findmypast

ElizabethHerts
21-12-11, 10:28
On 4th January we shall be able to see the sensitive information previously censored:

"It’s almost time to find out how your ancestors filled in the ‘infirmity‘ column in the 1911 census. On 4 January 2012, the Information Commissioner’s 100 year restriction on publishing this potentially sensitive information is lifted and you can search the 1911 census on findmypast.co.uk for fresh information to add to your family tree.
Unredacted 1911 census information revealed on findmypast.co.uk
For the first time, the original census images will show you if your ancestors recorded the details of your family’s illnesses and conditions and the age at which these began. This can provide a revealing insight into the previously censored health of your family in 1911, as well as your ancestors’ views of their relations’ wellbeing.

On the census transcriptions, you’ll also be able to see any recorded details of children born to women in prison who were aged three or under at the time of the census."

4 January 2012 will be the first time that this information is published online and findmypast.co.uk is the only place to view it.

kiterunner
21-12-11, 12:18
Interesting, but I wonder why findmypast will be the only place to view it? Are they not going to let people view it on the 1911 census site or Genes Reunited? And won't ancestry and The Genealogist be able to show it?

Phoenix
21-12-11, 12:49
If FMP paid for all the initial filming (and micromanaging blocking out sections on each page) they probably have the original images, while others currently just have the copies. Doubtless in time, once they have recouped the additional cost, everyone will have the original images.

I've only seen one image where it was absolutely obvious that someone did have a disability, known in the family as Cripple John.

I can't wait!

Margaret in Burton
21-12-11, 13:20
*humph*

I've just let my FMP sub lapse as from today.

With moving house very soon I don't think I'll have the time for research so have let both that and Ancestry lapse until I start again.

I'll just have to look when I do have the time. :d:d

Punchs Mum
21-12-11, 18:57
I wonder if the full image will be available in the Local Library?

If so, I will be going there to check out the images!

Les

kiterunner
21-12-11, 21:58
If FMP paid for all the initial filming (and micromanaging blocking out sections on each page) they probably have the original images, while others currently just have the copies. Doubtless in time, once they have recouped the additional cost, everyone will have the original images.

Brightsolid (the company who owns FMP) had it first, yes, but they also own the 1911 census site (which had the images first) and GR so I don't understand why the full images won't be on those sites too, especially the 1911 census site. You can use the same credits on both FMP and the 1911 census site so I can't see why they wouldn't put the full images on the 1911 census site.

Joy Dean
22-12-11, 11:15
It has to be on all sites that have the 1911 census surely; and that would be the original one - http://www.1911census.co.uk/content/default.aspx?r=24&101 = "The 1911 census information will be released in full on 3 January, 2012, in accordance with the ruling of the Information Commissioner’s Office. On this date the redaction will be reversed and you will be able to see the documents in full." plus find my past, the genealogist, and ancestry.

Lynn the Forest Fan
22-12-11, 12:10
If you have already paid to see an image, would you automatically be able to see the previously hidden stuff? Or would you be expected to pay again?

Joy Dean
22-12-11, 12:12
If you have already paid to see an image, would you automatically be able to see the previously hidden stuff? Or would you be expected to pay again?

I am sure I read somewhere that one would not have to pay again. We shall find out on the 3rd of next month :) I am just checking the saved searches in http://www.1911census.co.uk/ to see who I first saw in 2009.

Lynn the Forest Fan
22-12-11, 12:29
I am not expecting to find anything new, but will be very peeved if I am expected to pay again!

Joy Dean
22-12-11, 13:48
I have sent this question to http://www.1911census.co.uk/:
Please confirm that when the last column is visible in the 1911 census on 3 January, if one has already viewed images, one will not have to pay again to see the last column. Thank you.

Joy Dean
22-12-11, 15:22
I have sent this question to http://www.1911census.co.uk/:
Please confirm that when the last column is visible in the 1911 census on 3 January, if one has already viewed images, one will not have to pay again to see the last column. Thank you.

And the reply just received is good news: "When the infirmity column is released you will not be charged again to view previously accessed images."

Lynn the Forest Fan
22-12-11, 15:48
Excellent, many thanks Joy :)

kiterunner
22-12-11, 17:23
Thanks, Joy.

kiterunner
22-12-11, 17:30
Hmmm, when you click on the link in the FMP email it takes you to info on their site which starts by saying, "As findmypast.co.uk is the only place you can search the official, complete 1911 census, you’ll be thrilled to learn about the latest development which keeps us streets ahead of the competition." So I think they are just forgetting that brightsolid have other sites with the same database on, and they are saying it's the only place you can view the info because of the fact that ancestry and The Genealogist haven't completed all the counties yet.

ElizabethHerts
03-01-12, 14:54
I can't wait for tomorrow - let's hope the site can cope.

kiterunner
04-01-12, 06:55
The redacted information is now uncovered on the official 1911 census site, and you can see it on the pages you have already viewed by going to "My Records". Presumably you can also see it on FMP? Ancestry still has the white boxes.

Asa
04-01-12, 07:00
FMP still has the white boxes at the moment too :(

Langley Vale Sue
04-01-12, 07:29
Some images on FMP still have the white boxes but others haven't.
The image for my G grandfather & family is still blanked out, but his father, my GG grandfather, has the complete image shown.

It can't be alphabetical as they both have the same name, Charles Tivers, but my GG grandfather's family is in Southfields, London and the other is in Hammersmith, London.

ElizabethHerts
04-01-12, 08:33
I have FMP. My great-great-grandmother, great-grandmother and grandmother are all on the same page, still blanked out.

ElizabethHerts
04-01-12, 08:41
How do I use the official site to view images? I have a FMP sub. I didn't use the official site to view them in the first place.

kiterunner
04-01-12, 08:55
I think it would only be worth using for images that you have already viewed on the official 1911 site, Elizabeth. Otherwise you would have to buy credits which would be a waste of money if you have an FMP sub.

ElizabethHerts
04-01-12, 09:08
I only viewed a few images on the official site, Kate. I think I located lots of people on it, but didn't view the images until FMP had them and I could view them under my subscription there.

*Wonders when FMP will uncover the column.*

Jill
04-01-12, 13:06
Blast, only one of mine has anything written in it, the father was committed to Broadmoor a few weeks later, but all it says is "nil" for each entry!

Mary from Italy
04-01-12, 15:06
I've just checked the images I'd already viewed on the official site, and all the white boxes have been removed.

Asa
04-01-12, 15:59
The columns have now been uncovered on the ones I looked at this morning. I'm guiltily disappointed that there's no new info so far.

Joy Dean
08-01-12, 20:22
There are no infirmities in my family, according to the census anyway:)