PDA

View Full Version : Grandmother

jnovis
12-12-11, 22:53
I'm hoping some kind person can help me.My grandmother passed away earlier this year and i promised i would find her family especially her mother. Grandma was put in an orphanage at the age of 10 and she said her mum was a practising lutheran methodist and i'd like to know what this means.

thank you in advance
Janet

Janet
12-12-11, 23:51
Welcome to GF, Janet, from another Janet.

I know others will pitch in when they find your post. It's already gone midnight across the pond, and down under they're just starting their day so you may have to wait a bit on all of them. But I'm in the middle and happened to come across you first.

Taking your grandmother at her word and putting practising "lutheran methodist" into the search field on books.google.com does get a few potentially interesting hits. I thought at least some of the first four might cast some light on your mystery. (Curiously, searching without the word "practising" doesn't work as well. Sometimes less is more, but not in this case. And not putting the quote marks around "lutheran methodist" also doesn't seem to give as good a result.)

kiterunner
13-12-11, 07:19
Practising = "actively following, holding faithfully to" a religion, according to my dictionary.

As for Lutheran Methodist, are you sure that's right, Janet? Hopefully one of our religious experts can say whether there is such a denomination, but all the stuff I can find online just refers to a dialogue between Lutherans and Methodists. It couldn't have been "Wesleyan", could it?

Janet
13-12-11, 08:22
Practising = "actively following, holding faithfully to" a religion, according to my dictionary.

As for Lutheran Methodist, are you sure that's right, Janet? Hopefully one of our religious experts can say whether there is such a denomination, but all the stuff I can find online just refers to a dialogue between Lutherans and Methodists. It couldn't have been "Wesleyan", could it?

Not sure of anything at all, Kite! And I don't want to mislead anyone. Yes, most of what I saw was exactly what you said, just referring to a dialogue and presumably not what the grandmother was talking about. (No idea about "Wesleyan" but I was just taking her at her word.)

Having looked again, though, I wonder if the 1892 volume of The Lutheran Witness could potentially hold any clues because it points to a Synod with a paper apparently called the Lutheran Methodist. It's on page 25 in
The Lutheran witness, Volume 11
By General English Lutheran Conference of Missouri and Other States, English Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri and Other States, Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Missouri, Ohio, and Other States, Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod
That said, a religious expert I ain't! And I will now subside.

Olde Crone
13-12-11, 08:48
I have heard this expression before and I think it just means a particular branch of Methodism. I don't think it is in any way significant with regard to anyone being orphaned, or put into an orphanage etc and won't affect any searches.

I suppose an equivalent expression would be "he was a practising Roman Catholic" (as opposed to an Anglo-Catholic) or "He was a practising Hassidic Jew".

OC

kiterunner
13-12-11, 09:16
Sorry, Janet, my question was for the Janet who posted up the thread, not you!

Merry
13-12-11, 12:11
Welcome to the site, Janet!

Did you want us to help you find other basic information about your grandmother's mother? Whether we can help or not depends a lot on when and where (in the world) your grandmother was born and what information you already have about her. Please feel free to tell us anything you know that might help. The only restriction on this site is that we do not allow information about living people to be posted without their permission, but other than that, fire away (if you wish)!

Janet
13-12-11, 15:56
Sorry, Janet, my question was for the Janet who posted up the thread, not you!

Oooops, sorry! :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

MargaretMarch
17-12-11, 06:59
If the grandmother was put into an orphanage we need to start with the place and organisation involved.

The birth cert is the best place to start. Can you tell us if you have that and what it says please? If you haven't got the certificate can you say where and when she was born and her full name.

Margaret