PDA

View Full Version : Family search site

Margaret in Burton
02-12-11, 12:42
What have they done to the new site? I can't find anything. Just getting huge amount of options.

I want to see if Dalham in Suffolk is on there but can't seem to filter anymore than Europe.

It's certainly changed since the last time I used it only a month or so ago.

Horrendous

kiterunner
02-12-11, 12:45
A lot of the Suffolk records on there are from the BT's and don't say the parish anyway. I don't know how you would have checked whether Dalham was on there before the makeover, apart from typing it in the place search field, sorry! If you say how you used to do it I could have a play around and see if I can work out whether it's still possible.

kiterunner
02-12-11, 12:46
If you do type Dalham, Suffolk into the place search field for "any" event there do seem to be lots of records, if that's any help.

Margaret in Burton
02-12-11, 12:53
Thanks Kate

I've done as suggested but nothing there. I was looking for the baptism of Frances Moore in 1794 in Dalham so that I could do this weeks TOGG.

Can't find anything.

When did this "makeover" happen? Don't like it at all. Why do they have to make searches so difficult?

kiterunner
02-12-11, 13:29
It just takes a bit of getting used to each time they change it, Marg. I do actually like some of the changes they've done this time, such as being able to specify a date range for an event instead of being stuck with +- 5 or whatever.

If you don't put a name in at all, and select "Birth" and put in the place as Dalham, Suffolk, and a date range of 1792 to 1795 there are lots of baptisms listed, but no Frances Moore.

Olde Crone
02-12-11, 17:05
I went on there this morning and initially thought, oh goody, better options.

But somehow I just couldn't make it work for me - I tried to specify a birth in Derbyshire, but it decided I meant a marriage in Derbyshire as there didn't appear to be an option to specify an area for births......

...then it asked me to fill in a daft survey, which I did and I told it I didn't like this new new system!

(Incidentally, I then went to the old site and found the birth/baptism immediately)

OC

Mary from Italy
02-12-11, 17:24
I tried to specify a birth in Derbyshire, but it decided I meant a marriage in Derbyshire as there didn't appear to be an option to specify an area for births......

Where it says "Add a life event", just click on "birth".

Olde Crone
02-12-11, 17:40
Masry

I'm not sure what you mean but I will go and have a play.

EDIT - yes, found the box in which to put Derbyshire, lol, thankyou! I think I left that blank because it didn't say what it was for and I forgot about it.

OC