PDA

View Full Version : Frances Dry

kiterunner
01-12-11, 08:46
I was having trouble with the Browns, so I thought I'd have a look at the Drys instead but...!

Frances Dry married Joseph Brown 9 Jul 1766 at All Saints, Edmonton, Middlesex. She was a spinster of the parish, and the witnesses were Jno Fisher and Joseph Brown.

I've downloaded a will from TNA Documents Online of a William Dry of Edmonton, proved 11 Oct 1773. It doesn't state his occupation. He leaves everything to his wife and two daughters (not named) and appoints William Lee as guardian to the two daughters. No details of William Lee are given.

Henry Clarke of Chipping Barnet in Hertfordshire, butcher, and Edmund Richardson of Swallow Street, St James Westminster, gave evidence to say they knew the deceased and recognised his handwriting and had heard that he died in 1760. Probate was granted to William Lee.

I can't find a burial for William Dry, nor baptisms for his daughters. I found a possible marriage for him - William Dry married Frances Hodges by licence 2 Dec 1740/1 at St Sepulchre, Holborn. Also a possible baptism - William, son of William Dry and Frances of Eagle Street, baptised 6 Jul 1712 at St Andrew Holborn.

London Signatures has a will of William Dry, victualler of St Mary le Strand, Westminster, husband of Frances, father of William, proved (or written?) 3 Nov 1730 at the Archdeaconry Court of Middlesex. Could be the father of the William who died in 1760? I haven't paid to download that one yet as I'm not sure if it is going to help at this stage.

There is a burial for William Dry from the parish of St Mary le Strand 12 Nov 1730 at St Martin, West Drayton, Middlesex. Also Mrs Frances Dry from London buried 22 Jun 1734 at the same place.

A Frances Dry, widow, married Samuel Quested, widower, 1 Nov 1771 at Shoreditch St Leonard, both of the parish. Witnesses William Douty and Hannah Eley. But I can't see what happened to this couple afterwards.

Any ideas to sort this lot out, please?

kiterunner
01-12-11, 08:51
I've found a burial for Frances Quelsted 29 Nov 1775 at All Saints, Edmonton, so I think that suggests I'm on the right track?

Asa
01-12-11, 14:31
Seems to stack up quite well to me but I can't find anything else to add to it at the moment