PDA

View Full Version : Help interpreting Freedom Admission Papers, please

scuda
30-11-11, 14:17
I have found the Freedom Admission document for Thomas Pittman, son of Richard Pittman http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2052&iid=32512_a063899-01369&fn=Thomas&ln=Pittman&st=r&ssrc=&pid=795697 but need someone to check that I understand it correctly (I've lost a Thomas Pittman, son of Richard, and I'm hoping this is him).

There are two dates on it: 1762 and 1764 - I think that it's saying that the father, Richard, became a freeman in 1762, and his son was born in 1764. So my first question is, do you agree?

The second question is: when was this? The Ancestry page is headed 1790 Apr - Nov, and the page two before this one bears the date November 1790. Is it reasonable to assume that this date applies to the document I am looking at?

The third question: Shoreditch is written at the top of the page I am interested in. What does this mean: where the request for admission was made or granted? where the applicant lived? or??

And the last one - it says the father was an armourer and brasier (which is why I think he's 'mine'), but is anything at all implied about the son's occupation, where he lived, etc?

Hope someone understands these admission papers and can help!

scuda

kiterunner
30-11-11, 14:28
I believe that Shoreditch is where Thomas lived.

Thomas Pittman was made a freeman by patrimony, i.e. because his father was one, and to qualify for that he had to be born after his father became a freeman, hence those dates being included. So it says the father was made a freeman in 1762 and the son was born in 1764.

You can often get the son's occupation from the name of the Company but that isn't written in on this form.

I'm not sure how to find the date of these admissions when it isn't on the image so hopefully someone else can answer that one.

Phoenix
30-11-11, 14:48
If you get your freedom by patrimony, you don't have to follow the same trade as your father. This means that over time, people belonging to a livery company may not be following the implied trade.

scuda
30-11-11, 15:52
Thanks Kite and Phoenix. I am now pretty certain this is my 'lost' Thomas, and I'll concentrate my search for further sightings in the Shoreditch area for the time being - although it's where he was born/baptised, so maybe that's what it means. Knowing he was around somewhere in London in 1690 helps, anyway.

scuda