PDA

View Full Version : Bird Brown

kiterunner
29-11-11, 22:46
James McLellan married Bird Brown 8th Feb 1792 at Stepney St Dunstan & All Saints, by banns. He was a bachelor of Mile End Old Town and she was a spinster of the parish. They had some children baptised including Bird in 1793, Sarah 1794, Susanna 1807 (born 1805), Parkers Godfrey 1807 and Joseph Brown in 1810. There is a burial for Bird McLellan 3rd Sep 1837 at Wycliffe Congregational Church but no age given. The death is listed under McClellan iin Stepney district on the GRO index but Tower Hamlets BMD doesn't have deaths from 1837 yet. I was hoping to find her age at death (without paying for the cert as I don't even know if she goes in my tree) to see when she might have been born.

Witnesses at the wedding were Robert Newell and Sarah Bradley but they're witnesses at all the weddings on the page.

Can anyone help me find a birth or baptism for Bird Brown, please?

Val in Oz
30-11-11, 04:58
I wonder if that should have been Bridie, which is an Irish name I think.

Just a thought KR........and I realise it was given in several instances, but might it have been the pronunciation that caused it to be written as Bird?

KiwiChris
30-11-11, 07:14
I was amused to find how many people were called Bird Brown, but they seem to be mostly American and mostly blokes, well the ones I found were.

Merry
30-11-11, 07:43
I wondered if there was a connection between 'your' Bird and the one married to Joseph who was having children in Edmonton a generation before your Bird was most likely born.

Langley Vale Sue
30-11-11, 07:56
You've probably seen the burial of Bird Brown in Edmonton in July 1767. A bit early to be her mother though I would have thought. The same family that Merry found above?

Langley Vale Sue
30-11-11, 08:08
On the marriage record image on Ancestry there seems to be another word before 'Bird'.
Could that be a first name?
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1623&iid=31280_194751-00611&fn=Bird&ln=Brown&st=r&ssrc=&pid=6296182

Sorry I don't know how to post that part of the image on here.

marquette
30-11-11, 10:03
On the marriage record image on Ancestry there seems to be another word before 'Bird'.
Could that be a first name?
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=1623&iid=31280_194751-00611&fn=Bird&ln=Brown&st=r&ssrc=&pid=6296182

Sorry I don't know how to post that part of the image on here.
"said"

In full it says
Banns of marriage between James McLellan & Bird Brown were published January 22nd, 29th and February 5th 1792.
The said James McLellan of this parish hamlet of MEOT, bachelor and ye SAID Bird Brown of this parish Hamlet, spinster, were married by banns this eigth day of February, 1792 by me Thomas Thirwall.....

Di

Katarzyna
30-11-11, 10:03
Think that is "said" .

Asa
30-11-11, 11:52
There's a 48 year old Bord McLellan 1817 at St Leonard Foster Lane worth noting.

kiterunner
30-11-11, 11:59
I wonder if that should have been Bridie, which is an Irish name I think.

Just a thought KR........and I realise it was given in several instances, but might it have been the pronunciation that caused it to be written as Bird?

Maybe, but if she is connected to the family I'm hoping she is, it is Bird on all the records I've seen, covering several generations, so I don't think so but thanks for the suggestion.

I wondered if there was a connection between 'your' Bird and the one married to Joseph who was having children in Edmonton a generation before your Bird was most likely born.

That's what I'm wondering, Merry! Unfortunately it's one of those complicated puzzles...

My Browns have a Martha Bird Brown born 1798 (died 1800)and her father was Joseph, a butcher. He was apprenticed in 1786 and his indentures say his father was Joseph of Edmonton, a farmer. Joseph the butcher was supposed to be 66 when he died in 1835, so he must be the Joseph who was baptised 16 Mar 1770, parents Joseph and Frances, mustn't he? That Joseph had brothers called Edward and William, and sons with the same names.

His wife Susanna's mother was called Martha, so Martha Bird Brown was likely named after her, but I've never been able to work out where the "Bird" part came from. I assumed it was a surname from somewhere in the family up till now, but seeing the Joseph and Bird couple makes me think it must come from her.

I was hoping that Bird was my Joseph's grandmother, but although she did have a son Joseph, he was baptised in 1750 and Joseph and Frances got married in 1766 and it doesn't say he was a minor on the marriage or the banns so the dates don't quite work. I know he could have been baptised as a child instead of as a baby, but it doesn't say so on the baptism and he had siblings baptised in 1746 and 1747 so it seems unlikely.

You've probably seen the burial of Bird Brown in Edmonton in July 1767. A bit early to be her mother though I would have thought. The same family that Merry found above?

Thanks, Sue, yes I had seen it.

Anyway, since Bird Brown died in 1767 would Joseph the butcher, who wasn't even born then, have been likely to name his first daughter after her, even as a middle name?

So, then I found the Bird Brown marriage in 1792 in Stepney, near to where my Joseph Brown was living around then, and I wondered if she could be his sister. He would have been likely to name a daughter after a sister since his sons were named after his brothers, don't you think? But the trouble is I can't find a baptism for her to prove it!

I was hoping to find some wills for this family to help sort things out but no luck so far. Again, any help would be appreciated.

kiterunner
30-11-11, 12:00
There's a 48 year old Bord McLellan 1817 at St Leonard Foster Lane worth noting.

That looks very interesting, Asa, where did you find that please?

kiterunner
30-11-11, 12:16
Oh right, found it now and it is a burial on ancestry. Thanks, Asa! Looking at the image I think it says Berd. 14th Dec 1817 age 48, so birth would be around 1769. I wonder whether the Bird McLellan death in 1837 could be her daughter? There was a Bird baptised in 1793.

Asa
01-12-11, 09:27
Sorry I should have said it was on Ancestry. The 1837 could be he daughter as you say o an infant granddaughter