PDA

View Full Version : British Newspaper Archive

Guinevere
29-11-11, 06:35
www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk

Visit the Website and Discover Millions of Amazing Stories
The British Newspaper Archive is free to search, so why not visit the website and discover some of the wonderful stories that this digital Sheherazade is waiting to tell the world...

kiterunner
29-11-11, 08:01
Thanks for that, Gwynne. Did you get an email about it? I haven't had one. Also do you know whether any papers have been added to it since the beta test?

WendyPusey
29-11-11, 11:17
Too expensive for me.

Phoenix
29-11-11, 12:41
Well, that's a flipping waste of space!

If I search for Skillings, I also get Skill and Skilled. If I show those in the "Not" box I get no results at all!

As "George Lanning" produces every George Inn in the country, there are a lot of errors to wade through!

kiterunner
29-11-11, 15:17
Don't forget a lot of the papers included on the new site are also on the 19th century British Newspapers database but the searches are different.

Phoenix
29-11-11, 17:32
I know, I know. There is new stuff there, but the searches are turning up so much dross.

anne fraser
29-11-11, 18:05
I seem to have been lucky I paid my £6.00 for two days and found a lot of reports about my Wilton family who owned the pub in Kelston near Bath. Mainly chitchat about my grandfather who was a market gardener donating the flowers for the harvest festival and his sister playing the piano for various social events but still interesting background. My greatgrandmother who was my maiden namesake was fined 10 shillings for selling beer in unmarked earthenware pots. Also a report of the family attending a party to mark the end of the Boer war and all the children being given a silver sixpence.

I have found an obituary for an ancestor who died aged 81 in 1828. " ...removed by a gradual decay of nature without violent pain or lingering disease his hoary head was a crown of glory and his end was peaceful and happy."

maggie_4_7
30-11-11, 17:37
I've found quite a bit of stuff.

I'm a bit bemused at their charging structure £6.95 for 500 credits for two days bearing in mind that most of what I've downloaded is 10 or 5 credits each document it seems a bit weird to put a timescale on it. There isn't anyway I'll be able to use 500 credits in two days!

anne fraser
30-11-11, 17:48
Same here. I have quite a few unused credits if anyone wants me to look for an unusual name.

maggie_4_7
30-11-11, 17:55
Same here. I have quite a few unused credits if anyone wants me to look for an unusual name.

Me too I assume they run out after 48 hours.

maggie_4_7
30-11-11, 18:02

Actually I've just emailed them to ask them what the rationale is behind that charging structure.

ElizabethHerts
30-11-11, 18:08
If someone has spare credits could they tell me what the following is about, please?

I searched for the surname "Quintrell".

On page 10 I found this:

Hampshire Telegraph
Page 2 Miscellaneous
Hampshire Telegraph
Sat 13 Dec 1884

"who was 20 years of age, should be mr iy appointed as Mlatron.L, at a salary of £10 a year, with"

I think it refers to the eldest child of my great-great-grandfather John Quintrell, master of the Portsea Island workhouse. She replaced her mother as Matron. Her name was Fanny Eddy Quintrell.

maggie_4_7
30-11-11, 18:24
I have it pm me your email address ElizabethHerts.

Edit: I already have the email address must have emailed you before its on its way.

PDF format 4th column along is highlighted 'The Death of a Matron, Condolences'

anne fraser
30-11-11, 18:47
I tried googling Myles Ariel and I think Libby should definitely look.

ElizabethHerts
30-11-11, 18:51
I have it pm me your email address ElizabethHerts.

Edit: I already have the email address must have emailed you before its on its way.

PDF format 4th column along is highlighted 'The Death of a Matron, Condolences'

Thanks, Maggie, that's really kind of you. :)

ElizabethHerts
30-11-11, 18:57
Maggie, again thanks, that is brilliant. It told me that my 2x great-grandmother Fanny Ada Quintrell was buried in the grave of one of her children, which must have been John Daddow Quintrell who died a baby in 1861.

Many thanks for that account of her funeral.

The next column, to the right, tells of the appointment of her daughter Fanny Eddy Quintrell to replace her, and of condolences of the Board.

HarrysMum
30-11-11, 19:56
I tried googling Myles Ariel and I think Libby should definitely look.

On to it in a moment Anne.

I will have to pay for counselling for all those who can't get 'Ariel' out of their head...lol

maggie_4_7
30-11-11, 19:59
ElizabethHerts

Check your PMs and email.

ElizabethHerts
30-11-11, 20:12
Have done, Maggie, many thanks - have replied. :)

Janet in Yorkshire
01-12-11, 15:19
Has anyone subscribed using a Visa debit card, issued by NatWest?

I use a card of this type for internet transactions, but seem unable to make a payment on this site. :(

Jay

anne fraser
01-12-11, 15:26
my credits still seem to be valid. I have found several weddings described in loving detail. The latest included descriptions of the bridesmaids wearing pink silk dresses with daises in their hair. A shame you can't do an exact search on names. Bristol and Bath seem to be very well covered.

maggie_4_7
01-12-11, 17:18
Has anyone subscribed using a Visa debit card, issued by NatWest?

I use a card of this type for internet transactions, but seem unable to make a payment on this site. :(

Jay

I used a Visa debit card but it was Santander.

ElizabethHerts
01-12-11, 17:34
Maggie, I've found a few good snippets, thank you.

maggie_4_7
01-12-11, 18:32
Good

Ann from Sussex
01-12-11, 19:47
I've found quite a bit of stuff.

I'm a bit bemused at their charging structure £6.95 for 500 credits for two days bearing in mind that most of what I've downloaded is 10 or 5 credits each document it seems a bit weird to put a timescale on it. There isn't anyway I'll be able to use 500 credits in two days!

I've been working to a plan. I'm doing all the searching for as many names as OH and I can think of first (and already have about 40 likely hits). I'm bookmarking them as I go along and will buy 500 credits when I can't think of any more searches to do and when I can be sure of having enough time in any given 48 hours to look at the images. I just hope the bookmarks aren't time-limited or else I will have wasted a lot of time and effort!

maggie_4_7
02-12-11, 18:24
I've been working to a plan. I'm doing all the searching for as many names as OH and I can think of first (and already have about 40 likely hits). I'm bookmarking them as I go along and will buy 500 credits when I can't think of any more searches to do and when I can be sure of having enough time in any given 48 hours to look at the images. I just hope the bookmarks aren't time-limited or else I will have wasted a lot of time and effort!

Well I don't know if that will work but I know they save the viewed images in your account perhaps best to write down the publication, issue date and the search criteria you used for each one. I know it's tedious... :rolleyes:

I got a reply and it's a standard one on my concerns on pricing structure:-

------------------------------------------
Dear Margaret,

Thank you for your email.

Our pricing for online access is in line with other commercial family history resources and we will ensure that it is reviewed regularly to ensure it remains this way.

Kind Regards,

Liam Kelly
The British Newspaper Archive Support Team
------------------------------------------------------

It's a strange one to be honest I think - I am going to reply I think pricing structures for that particular site, because all they offer is NewsPapers, should be either time or credits but not credits built on timescales to use them - doesn't make sense they only have one thing to offer.

Whoever put that in doesn't understand research or what people are prepared to pay for unfortunately.

maggie_4_7
02-12-11, 18:26
Maggie, I've found a few good snippets, thank you.

Sorry didn't have time last night to reply properly, bloody good I hate wasting stuff.

:D

ElizabethHerts
02-12-11, 19:03
Sorry didn't have time last night to reply properly, bloody good I hate wasting stuff.

:D

Maggie, I'm in your debt - if I can do something for you please let me know!

maggie_4_7
02-12-11, 19:19
Maggie, I'm in your debt - if I can do something for you please let me know!

Nah don't think about it you're welcome.

Terri
07-12-11, 15:36
Well ........... So far I've found 29 incidents of "criminal" activity in one of my families. Is that a record?:d

Phoenix
07-12-11, 15:42
Well, it beats the 23 I've found on Humphrey Pridden!

Terri
07-12-11, 16:19
It beats me how this one family managed to stay employed in the same little village when it was clear that they would nick anything and everything that wasn't nailed down ........... and a few things that were. And then there was the arson; assaults; drunk and disorderlies .............
I knew they were bad, didn't know they were that bad.

Terri
07-12-11, 16:47
Oh Gwynne, I've accidentally found a Mewse!

Under the Lowestoft bit:
William Mewse, an old offender (snigger!) was charged with being drunk, on the 18th inst.
Ipswich Journal and Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire Advertiser, Saturday, September 24th 1881

Mary from Italy
12-12-11, 16:48
I'm finding loads of stuff in these newspapers for my tree and my BiL's. I've used about 500 credits already...
Turns out that one of my BiL's relations spent most of his adult life in Broadmoor.

Guinevere
13-12-11, 04:45
Oh Gwynne, I've accidentally found a Mewse!

Under the Lowestoft bit:
William Mewse, an old offender (snigger!) was charged with being drunk, on the 18th inst.
Ipswich Journal and Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire Advertiser, Saturday, September 24th 1881

Oh dear, Terri. One of yours, I think. ;)

maggie_4_7
18-02-12, 11:22
ahhh maybe they do listen then:-

http://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/?p=207

Different pricing structure.

Mary from Italy
18-02-12, 12:49
Oh, that's good, a 7-day package makes much more sense.

maggie_4_7
19-02-12, 09:53
Its much better I don't feel under so much pressure now to find things quickly.

I have found quite a bit on the Kendalls and Mears in Northamptonshire which I didn't expect.