PDA

View Full Version : London Freemen - ancestry

kiterunner
28-11-11, 10:57
Only just noticed this! It says it was added yesterday.

Covering the years 1681 - 1925.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2052

kiterunner
28-11-11, 11:19
I've found an entry which may or may not be my Joseph Brown, butcher, granted freedom of the city 4th Feb / 19th May 1801, son of Joseph Brown of Edmonton, Middlesex, farmer. I know I've looked at other records for that Joseph before and thought he might be mine but I still need to find something to prove he's the same Joseph. I suppose that's what the "shoebox" facility on ancestry's for. I've only ever used it by mistake before!

kiterunner
28-11-11, 11:23
Ooh, and there are apprentice papers in that same database, and I've found Joseph Brown jr (or maybe Joseph Brown the third?!) being apprenticed to his father. This might keep me busy for some time... definitely worth a look if you have London ancestors.

kiterunner
28-11-11, 11:27
Ah yes! Now I've found the entry for one of Joseph sr's other sons, William, and it shows that his father's admission year was 1801 so that first record I found looks very promising indeed!

ElizabethHerts
28-11-11, 11:33
Looks like I'll have to renew my Ancestry subscription, then!

Asa
28-11-11, 12:33
I can't actually grasp how great this is but am just shoving some names in my lunch break and finding all sorts of wonderful things :-)

kiterunner
28-11-11, 13:39
I've found loads of my rellies in there, so many I keep jumping around from one bit of my tree to another instead of concentrating on one bit and sorting it out.

Langley Vale Sue
28-11-11, 14:35
Oooh I've just found a GG Uncle on there! :)
Thanks for the link Kite. Off to have another search of my names.

Asa
28-11-11, 16:21
I've found loads of my rellies in there, so many I keep jumping around from one bit of my tree to another instead of concentrating on one bit and sorting it out.

But it *is* very exciting isn't it:)

Rishile
29-11-11, 06:44
I've found three generations of one of my lines so thanks for passing that on.

I know this is probably a very stupid question but - would I be wasting my time looking for women?

Rishile

kiterunner
29-11-11, 07:28
No, there are some women in there.

tenterfieldjulie
29-11-11, 07:34
Thanks Kate looks like a visit to the library to look for my great uncle John Bryant.

Merry
29-11-11, 07:53
I only seem to be able to access the data held on this datebase through the link at the start of this thread. (ie it doesn't appear in the list of results if I just search for a name I know is included in this database via the main search page on Ancestry). Is this the same for everyone else?

kiterunner
29-11-11, 08:00
I noticed the same thing yesterday, Merry. I've added the database link to my "Quick Links" on my ancestry homepage so I don't lose it!

Merry
29-11-11, 08:05
Good idea.