PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Plunkett

humanracer
27-11-11, 20:39
Looking for more info on an Alexander Plunkett born in Co Down in late 18th, early 19th Century. His wife was Margaret. He had a son called Alexander who later moved to Liverpool, Lancashire.

kiterunner
27-11-11, 22:06
Can you please give us more information about Alexander jr, what censuses have you found him on, etc.? Did Alexander jr get married in England, and if so, when? How do you know that Alexander sr was born in Co Down?

humanracer
27-11-11, 22:30
Can you please give us more information about Alexander jr, what censuses have you found him on, etc.? Did Alexander jr get married in England, and if so, when? How do you know that Alexander sr was born in Co Down?

Alexander Plunkett (1823-1863). The first sign of him is his marriage in Liverpool in 1851 to Susannah McClusky (or McClosky) from Londonderry. The 1861 UK census has his birthplace listed as Co Down. A distant cousin said she was sure he came from the Newcastle area but it cannot be confirmed. His parents were Alexander Plunkett and Margaret. I have no more information about them either but I would imagine they were born 10 years either side of 1800.

I do not know for sure that Alex snr was born in Co Down but this was an educated guess, but you are right in that he may be born elsewhere!

Thanks again

kiterunner
27-11-11, 22:50
Does the marriage certificate not give an occupation for Alexander sr?

Merry
28-11-11, 06:00
Welcme to GF, Humanracer.

Were Alexander and Susannah married in a church? If yes, which denomination?

How do you know Alexander's mother was Margaret?

Asa
28-11-11, 06:57
The marriage is on Ancestry (Liverpool RC) - Alexander's parents are given as Alexander and Margaret on there.

Merry
28-11-11, 10:24
Indexes to Irish Wills, 1536-1857, Vol. IV
Calendar of Wlls in the Diocese of Newry and Mourne, 1727-1858

Plunket, Alexander, Ballaghanery, co. Down. Date of Probate 1825

(from Ancestry)

kiterunner
28-11-11, 10:54
If I were you I would order a copy of the full marriage certificate from the GRO or local register office as that should give you the occupation of Alexander sr (or may say deceased instead). Then this would help in looking for the right Alexander Plunkett in Ireland.