PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Lists

JohnS
26-11-11, 18:24
If anyone has access to Ancestry Worldwide I would greatly appreciate the following lookup.

Passenger List 1861 Charles Sharratt to New York
Passenger List 1863 Charles Sharratt to New York
(I think he may have made the trip twice)
The Sharratt name had many variants throughout the censuses so I would suggest flexibility in the searches.
Many thanks
JohnS

Margaret in Burton
26-11-11, 19:29
I usually put sh*r*t

Picks up most of them.

Margaret in Burton
26-11-11, 19:30
John and my OH are related so I have an interest in this too.

borobabs
26-11-11, 20:33
The only ones I can find are on incoming passenger list

Margaret in Burton
26-11-11, 20:35
The only ones I can find are on incoming passenger list

That's perhaps them Babs

borobabs
26-11-11, 20:38
Name: Charles Sherrett
Birth Date: abt 1868
Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date: 14 May 1911
Port of Arrival: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Ship Name: Baltic
Search Ship Database: View the 'Baltic' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: White Star Line
Official Number: 118101

borobabs
26-11-11, 20:39
Birth Date: 30 Dec 1886
Arrival Date: 10 May 1958
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Ports of Voyage: Rotterdam
Ship Name: Ryndam
Search Ship Database: View the 'Ryndam' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Escombe, McGrath & Company Ltd
Official Number: 7767/20

borobabs
26-11-11, 20:40
I dont know if these are right ones or not

Birth Date: 30 Dec 1886
Arrival Date: 20 May 1960
Ship Name: Statendam
Search Ship Database: View the 'Statendam' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Holland - America Line
Official Number: 8368/20

borobabs
26-11-11, 20:41
Name: Charles Sherrod
Birth Date: abt 1883
Arrival Date: 27 Aug 1951
Ship Name: Queen Mary
Search Ship Database: View the 'Queen Mary' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Cunard Steamship Company Ltd
Official Number: 164282

borobabs
26-11-11, 20:48
I dont know where else to look Marg sorry

Mary from Italy
26-11-11, 21:20
There's nothing showing up on the Ancestry NY passenger lists for a voyage in 1861 or 1863, but there is one in 1864 for a Charles Sharratt, miner, native country Germany, travelling with a wife Harriett and various children. Could this be the right person?

Margaret in Burton
26-11-11, 21:58
John S emailed me earlier today asking me if I could look these up. I don't have worldwide Ancestry so suggested he posted on here.
Until John comes back to this thread I have no idea if these are the ones he was looking for.

Janet
27-11-11, 02:01
Haven't found the passenger list, but do you have this obituary?
http://wvls.lib.wi.us/ClarkCounty/clark/data/1/bbs3/3277.htm

Which Charles Sharratt are we looking for?

There are three Charles Sharratt heads of family on the 1880 census in Fond du Lac, all born in England, and all seemingly living on the same street:

one born 1812 with wife Sharlotte and granddaughter Mary A. Evens;

one (Charles J.) born 1836, with no wife, and children Nellie R., Lucy A., Byron W., George P., May M. and Warren P. - all the children are born in Wisconsin except May, born in Missouri, and the absent mother of all the children was born in Rhode Island;

and one born 1840 with wife Priscilla and children Mary, John, Charles, James, Frank, William, Walter, Ezra, Nellie and Albert - the last four are born in Wisconsin. The obit is for this last Charles. These are the nice-looking people in the photo posted on our Family Photos 1891 - 1900.

Alll the rest are born in England, and the poor dears almost all have whooping cough on the census date of 8 June 1880.

If we're looking for him going to New York, won't we have to get someone to look on FindMyPast?

Merry
27-11-11, 07:51
I don't have a FMP sub any more, but don't their outgoing passenger lists start in 1890?

Margaret in Burton
27-11-11, 09:14
I don't have a FMP sub any more, but don't their outgoing passenger lists start in 1890?

I have FMP and yes, Merry is correct.

JohnS
27-11-11, 11:22
Thank you everyone for all your help.

Haven't found the passenger list, but do you have this obituary?
http://wvls.lib.wi.us/ClarkCounty/clark/data/1/bbs3/3277.htm

Yes. I already have all the Clark County stuff, thank you.

one born 1812 with wife Sharlotte and granddaughter Mary A. Evens

This is the one I am looking for. Charlotte was his second wife. Family lore has it that Charles travelled to New York in 1861 with his daughter Mary and her husband Thomas Evans and their baby Mary Ann Evans (this is the granddaughter you cite). There was reputedely smallpox aboard the ship. Also on board was Charles' son Francis who caught smallpox and died at sea.

Charlotte made the voyage two years later in 1863 aboard the Isaac Webb (have seen this passenger list). It is suggested that Charles came back and made the journey with her in 1863, which is why I am looking for him on two voyages. On the 1863 passenger list Charlotte is listed as 'Wife' which makes me think her husband (Charles) would be on board. The passenger list is fragmented so I am not sure if any pages are missing.

JohnS

Margaret in Burton
27-11-11, 12:28
People who have Worldwide Ancestry don't appear to be able to find anything John.

Can you post a link to anything you have seen but can't open?

Mary from Italy
27-11-11, 13:53
Have you seen the image of the Isaac Webb passenger list?

It looks as though two pages have been filmed together; Charlotte's at the top of the bottom page, and the top page might possibly overlap the bottom one, in which case Charles' entry could be hidden by the top page.

No idea whether Ancestry would be able to check if you e-mail them.

JohnS
27-11-11, 15:51
Can you post a link to anything you have seen but can't open?

No specific links Marg. I just entered Charles Sharratt, born 1812, arrived New York 1861 and it came up with several pages but with all info blanked out - need to join to view them.
Unfortunately I cannot afford to add that subscription to my existing FMP one.

Quite often, though, you are led to believe there is something relevant (to make you join) and then you find it's not what you are after, and this appears to be the case from what people who can access them are saying. :(

Margaret in Burton
27-11-11, 18:42
No specific links Marg. I just entered Charles Sharratt, born 1812, arrived New York 1861 and it came up with several pages but with all info blanked out - need to join to view them.
Unfortunately I cannot afford to add that subscription to my existing FMP one.

Quite often, though, you are led to believe there is something relevant (to make you join) and then you find it's not what you are after, and this appears to be the case from what people who can access them are saying. :(

I think that could be the case John.

I still haven't even looked at the American link with the Sharratt's. Not had time but will make time one day. Still not looked at the stuff from Larry.

Janet
17-12-11, 03:43
Just a note in passing, Marg. When I saw Langley Vale Sue's post on her MFFMMM this week, in my mind I jumped straight back to your threads before I realized yours are Sharratt/Sherratt not Jerratt/Jarrett/Jarratt. But then it occurred to me that I ought to at least mention it as a possible alternate spelling when you're looking for someone who doesn't seem to want to be found. If you pronounce that as a soft "J" like in French, it could sound like "Sh". You might have already tried this, in which case you may safely ignore me!

Margaret in Burton
17-12-11, 12:42
Just a note in passing, Marg. When I saw Langley Vale Sue's post on her MFFMMM this week, in my mind I jumped straight back to your threads before I realized yours are Sharratt/Sherratt not Jerratt/Jarrett/Jarratt. But then it occurred to me that I ought to at least mention it as a possible alternate spelling when you're looking for someone who doesn't seem to want to be found. If you pronounce that as a soft "J" like in French, it could sound like "Sh". You might have already tried this, in which case you may safely ignore me!

No, not thought of that Janet. It's something to be aware of for John as well as me.