PDA

View Full Version : Historial events

Rishile
24-11-11, 12:07
I have found this very useful site about historical events worldwide since the year dot.

www.johnowensmith.co.uk

Does anybody know of any sites that list historical events in various counties? I am interested in Kent, Sussex, Essex, Bedfordshire, Devon and London.

Many thanks
Rishile

Phoenix
24-11-11, 12:20
The C19th Newspaper site might be your best bet. This is free if you have the relevant library ticket. Others might be able to suggest exactly how to access it. I don't know whether you can browse, or access sheets just by date.

Local information gets progressively more difficult to find the further back you go. Local newspapers would often carry local, national & international news. Guess what got squeezed out?:(

Rishile
24-11-11, 12:28
Thanks Phoenix

I am really trying to find a list of historical events in - say - Kent. I can then research the item more thoroughly if I want to but can also include local events in my family history and maybe show how my ancestors were affected.

Rishile

ElizabethHerts
24-11-11, 12:34
The John Owen Smith site is a really useful one. I use it for my family history in and around the village of Headley - he has the marriage of my 3x great grandparents and lots of other interesting information, including a book about the Headley workhouse riots in the 1830s.

One Monday in November … and Beyond
the Selborne & Headley Workhouse Riots of 1830 … and their aftermath

My 3x great-grandfather became Governor of the workhouse in the late 1830s and took the census in 1841.

ElizabethHerts
24-11-11, 12:35
We started a Timeline on another genealogical site, but I haven't looked at it recently.

tenterfieldjulie
24-11-11, 22:56
I just Googled the year that my ancestors left Kent and found lots of interesting data but I did have to wade through quite a lot - it was very interesting. If I can fiind it I will post it !!.