PDA

View Full Version : Holy Evangelist?

Merry
10-10-09, 11:08
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

I've just been reading Robert Francis McCrery's will again and noticed that when two friends are brought forward to swear the will document is in his handwriting, they are both 'sworn on the Holy Evangelist' before making their oaths.

I don't remember seeing that before. Does it mean anything in particular?

Mary from Italy
10-10-09, 11:58
I imagine they meant the New Testament (the first four books of which were written by the Evangelists Matthew, Mark, Luke and John).

Merry
10-10-09, 13:01
So, would there be a reason for swearing on the New Testament rather than the whole Bible?

Sorry, I'm a bit vague about most non-conformist religions, but I wondered if this signified these two men belonged to some particular denomination?

Mary from Italy
10-10-09, 13:47
No idea, sorry, but it seems to be a common form of wording - there are loads of hits on Google.

Olde Crone
10-10-09, 15:23
Merry

Might they be Roman Catholic? I believe they don't use the Old Testament.

OC

Merry
10-10-09, 17:28
Merry

Might they be Roman Catholic? I believe they don't use the Old Testament.

OC

Are you sure, OC?

HarrysMum
10-10-09, 17:58
We have always used the whole Bible, but treat the Gospels with special respect.

I believe we've always used just "the Bible" for swearing upon.

I have found some odd wording in documents for the Sawreys and Kirkbys in Lancashire. I still can't fathom exactly what denomination they were.....sometimes Catholic, sometimes Quaker and always part of the local parish church.....lol

Hedged their bets...

Merry
10-10-09, 18:25
That's very interesting. Until 1850 any Quaker found entering a C or E church (for any purpose at all) would be (or was supposed to be) 'disowned' from the Society. They were sometimes allowed back later - one relative of mine was disowned for marrying someone who was a member of the C of E, but when she died soon after, he married a second time to a Quaker lady and so was allowed back into the Society!

I know some of your lot were very well off :D, but I'm surprised if this was enough to allow them to flout the rules! lol

HarrysMum
10-10-09, 19:03
Merry....................it was in Lancashire!!!

I have found I'll believe anything that happened there........all of my Lancashire research (particualrly the early stuff...15/1600s) doesn't make any sense to me......lol

Still it's a change from my side of Essex ag labs.....lol

Olde Crone
10-10-09, 20:58
I agree with that, Lancashire was a law unto itself!

(No, I'm not sure the RC don't use the Old Testament, lol)

OC

HarrysMum
10-10-09, 22:45
Our first reading at Mass this morning was from the Book of Wisdom. That's OT, not sure if Cof E use that part????

Where's KiwiChris???

Last week we had Book of Genesis...can't get much older than that......lol

kiterunner
11-10-09, 10:03
No, the C of E don't have the Book of Wisdom, Libby.

HarrysMum
11-10-09, 10:36
I can never remember which ones we have that the others don't use.....thanks...