PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with an ancestry worldwide lookup ? (German WW casualties)

marquette
19-11-11, 23:50
I have been chasing down my grandmothers cousins, in England.

One Rose Louise Page is listed as having married Arthur RFP Ilgenstein in 1904, but I cannot find any more information about him.

Their banns were called 10th May, 17th and 24th May 1903, but are stuck through "Cancelled", at St Mark Battersea Rise. (Arthur was from Brompton and Rose, of this parish)

The only freebmd entries are their marriage and her death (Rose L Ilgenstein) in 1944.

There's an Arthur Ilgenstein listed in the 1901 Swedish census and again as as WW1 casualty in the German records. My level of sub does not give me access to these records, so I would appreciate any more information.

I also found Rose Ilgenstein in the 1911 census living with her unmarried sister Florence.

Edit to say I found Arthur in 1901 under ILGARSTEIN on ancestry - Band Musician born Sweden, foreign subject, a boarder in West Ham, Essex. I also think he may have come to Australia as a bandsman in 1898. But where did he go after 1904 ?

A little bit of a mystery in the Page family

Di

HarrysMum
20-11-11, 00:20
I'm looking in the WW1 German casualty lists without success.

Haven't found the Swedish census yet.

Yesterday was my first foray into Europe so bear with me...lol

HarrysMum
20-11-11, 00:26
Found the census.....thought there was a Swedish census...lol

Back to WW1

KiwiChris
20-11-11, 00:53
Arthur is on the 1911 transcribed on FMP as Slygenstein b 1866 Jaxony (sic) Resident, Musician, The original says his nationality was German. He is with Rose, a whole lot of boarders, actors and musicians and agents, and Florence Page. They are all in Shepherds Bush.

marquette
20-11-11, 02:34
Slygenstein - thanks Chris, no wonder its hard to find him - a wealth of mistranscriptions I do not doubt. I wonder what his death is under ?

KiwiChris
20-11-11, 02:56
He is on a family tree on Ancestry, but no more information than you have, it may be worth contacting the tree owner though.

Do you have Ancestry sub?

marquette
20-11-11, 10:27
Hi Chris
Yes I do, I I think thats probably my tree, as it does not show up when I search. I was hoping the German WW1 casualty records might tell what he was doing.

At least I know what happened to Rose Louise, who is the one I am really interested in as she is my cousin.

Di

JessBow
20-11-11, 16:00
did he died before or after her?

Did he register her death I supose is one clue

KiwiChris
20-11-11, 17:08
He was still in the UK in 1911. If he was the German casualty in WW1 then presumably he went back to Germany. It seems unlikely to me that he would return after the war and settle back down with his English wife.

If it is not him and he stayed in the UK, what happened to Germans in the UK in WW1?

Gillie27
22-05-12, 12:31
Rose Louise Page was my grandfather's aunt, do we have a family connection? Would love to hear from anyone with links, my father at 84 has a keen interest in family history and loves talking family!

JBee
22-05-12, 12:35
There's also the possibility of him changing his name as there was a lot of anti- foreigner during and after the war.

marquette
24-05-12, 06:58
Hi Gillie
Sorry I missed your post earlier, but have pm'ed you too.

There are lots of tales about the Page family, mostly in Australia, that I could tell your dad !! Maybe he can fill in a bit on the England side too.

Di