PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand death

HarrysMum
18-11-11, 10:31
I have been searching for ages for my gg grandmother's death.

Stupid me thought it would be in Ireland...but.....I've had in my possession for ages, a photo of her taken in Tasmania about 1890. She looked quite elderly in the photo. Her husband's sister was a nun in Tasmania from 1888 until her death in 1919.

I've looked in Australia for gg grandmother's death and NZ.

Her name was Deborah Bowler (mn Brosnahan)

Now, I've come across a death in NZ 1899 for a Deborah Brosnahan aged 86.

Does anyone know if I can get any more info without buying the cert? I'm not convinced she would have been buried under her maidne name but wonder if it's a mistake on the index.

kiterunner
18-11-11, 10:36
Yes, on Papers Past there is a death notice in the Timaru Herald 17 Jul 1899:
DEATH
BROSNAHAN - At the residence of her son Hugh, at Kerrytown post office, on the 15th July, Deborah Brosnahan, aged 86 years. RIP.

So I don't think it's likely to be the person you're looking for.

HarrysMum
18-11-11, 10:46
Thanks Kate.

I wish I could think as quickly as you do...lol

kiterunner
18-11-11, 10:50
It's the morning here, which I daresay helps!

Have you checked the Irish GRO indexes, Libby? There's a Deborah Bowler death Jan-Mar 1899 Killarney, age 87.

KiwiChris
19-11-11, 00:14
The Kerrytown Brosnahans are some relation of mine!

HarrysMum
19-11-11, 00:49
Wonderful Christine......now is there any way you can make them mine as well.....lol

I have Deborah Brosnahan married John Patrick Bowler.
Their chilcdren were all born between 1848 and 1860 in Kerry, Ireland.

Sometime ???? a few of the children go to NZ. Some stay in Kerry so presume they go as adults.

My g grandfather Patrick Bowler(b 1852) married Hannah Londrigan in Wanganui 1883.

Hannah says she's born 1861 in Cork. Parents Cornelius Londrigan and Catherine Fitzgerald.
I know nothing prior to her marriage.

Back to Deborah.

I presumed she stayed in Ireland, but I have this photo of her as an elderly lady taken in Hobart (no date). Her husband's sister, Margaret Bowler was a nun in Tassie so maybe visiting. I just have no idea where Deborah died. She's not buried in Te Henui, where a lot of her family are buried.

KiwiChris
19-11-11, 02:51
Te Henui is in Taranaki, so do you have New Plymouth connections as well?

I will have to have a search of my tree to find out where the Brosnahans fit in, but off hand that they are married into the O'Keefe family somewhere.

* toddles off to have a look*

KiwiChris
19-11-11, 03:02
My GG grandmother's brother Denis Hoare, married Mary Brosnahan. They were from Dromcunning in Co Kerry and came to NZ about 1862. I have a feeling that there were other Brosnahan relatives of hers arriving about the same time, and they all settled in Kerrytown. I have it all written down somewhere but have never really sorted them all out and added them to my tree properly.

HarrysMum
19-11-11, 03:46
There are Bowlers who belong to me still in New Plymouth.

My grandfather, Michael Bowler, born 1885 in Patea came to Australia about 1925. Most of his many siblings stayed there.

The Bowlers married Kirby, Challinor, Mitchell, Hussey.

KiwiChris
19-11-11, 04:25
My lines still over there are Corbett and Feek and they are all buried in Te Hunui.

kiterunner
19-11-11, 12:22
So is that Irish death definitely not her, Libby?

HarrysMum
19-11-11, 19:09
Sorry Kate....I got so exited thinking I might belong to Christine, I forgot to look.

I'm also wading through Dutch records for BIL........who is going home shortly.

I will check and let you know.