PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got X-ray eyes?

Terri
09-10-09, 19:15
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n313/terrilast/Odds%20and%20Ends/MarionRoseGalebapt.jpg

I desperately need to know the father of Marian Rose!
How could anyone be so mean as to have crossed it out!! ;(
I could scream.

But I'm open to guesses. I sort of think the first name might be William, and I am 90% certain his surname as Aldersey.

Feel free to ignore this, I know it's impossible. :d

Uncle John
09-10-09, 19:25
Is this a baptism register entry? I assume it isn't a birth registration.
P.S. I don't have X-ray eyes or second sight!

Terri
09-10-09, 19:26
It's a baptism register John.

Joan of Archives
09-10-09, 19:30
Crumbs I can't see either William or Aldersley ! :o They did a good job of scrubbing that out!

Did they have black marker pens back then? :d

Terri
09-10-09, 19:37
I can't actually see Aldersey either Joan, but as the name on her birth certificate is Marian Rose Aldersey Gale, it's an educated guess!

I would love to know when it was scrubbed out too.

This must be the most frustrating hobby there is!:mad:

Merry
09-10-09, 19:40
Well, he has two forenames and I reckon the second one is definitely Thomas. Not sure about the first one.

I think you cheated for the surname as it's on the birth reg!

Births Sep 1849
GALE Marion Rose Aldersey Shoreditch 2 4_0

Merry
09-10-09, 19:44
Gosh, Aldersley is definitely a Lancs/Yorks surname. Hardly any London-ish BMDs.

Terri
09-10-09, 19:52
You're right Merry, it isn't a London name.

Rumour has it that Sarah Gale, Marian's mother, was a poor servant girl; while Mr. Aldersey was a wealthy cad who refused to acknowledge his daughter. I'd dearly LOVE to know!

Thomas ......... yes I like that!!
Thanks Merry

Merry
09-10-09, 19:56
I think it was probably crossed out at the time the entry was being completed, as there is no occupation in the 6th column, so they knew they were not entering a father before they got to that bit. Pity, as it could have been a clue.

kiterunner
09-10-09, 22:00
My guess for the surname would be Jennings - the letter at the beginning doesn't look as if it could be an A to me.

Merry
10-10-09, 07:59
I agree, it definitely looks as if it begins wih a J and ends with an S. A bit strange really. What happened to Sarah and Marion?

Terri
10-10-09, 11:47
Marion initially shacked up with her uncle (30-odd years older than her) and had 3 kids by him. When he died, she married a guy nearly 20 years younger than her, but he died of a heart attack a couple of years later! She married for a 3rd time and was happy. Marion died about 1938 and those who knew her say she was a real character; tough as old boots and stroppy with it! :d

Her mum married and lived happily ever after.

PS I hope that surname is Aldersey; we've always assumed that it was her father's name!