PDA

View Full Version : NSW Assisted Immigrants

Kit
17-11-11, 01:44
I don't know much about my 3g grandfather except that he married, had children and died.

I do have his death certificate but for some reason hadn't paid it proper attention.

He was 52 when he died in 1859 so he is born around 1807. What I hadn't picked up was that he had been in the colony for 19 years, which means he arrived about 1840. This is just in time to get married my 3g grandma, who I know even less about.

I've just had a look at the assistant immigrant passenger list and found a person who matches, whose father has the right name but he is married to a woman of my 3g grandma's name.

Would assistant immigrants definitely be married if they came to Australia with a woman? Or would they marry again in Australia if they were already married?

HarrysMum
17-11-11, 03:43
Any names Toni?

They could have certainly come pretending to be married, but not sure why they would then marry.

Would they have married on the ship and registered in NSW when they arrived. I have a couple of boat births who are registered in NSW.

kiterunner
17-11-11, 07:00
I've got a couple in my tree who got married in England in 1890 and then again in Canada in 1891. I wondered if perhaps they forgot to take their marriage certificate over to Canada with them and needed to prove they were married, and found it easier to get married again then send off for a replacement cert from England.

Kit
17-11-11, 12:38
You asked for it Libby.

Thomas White and Eliza Pointer (have seen some people say Poynter).

They married in NSW in 1842, although I have seen it somewhere saying Moreton Bay QLD. I can't find the safe place where I put my certs to see if I actually have it. :( I didn't want to wake the baby trying to find it.

Thomas is born about 1807 according to his death cert. I presume England as that is where his father John is. The death cert says Thomas was in Aust for 19 years in 1859 so arrived about 1840.

I can't remember if the cert asks for age at marriage or years married but the answer was 30. The name of the wife was totally wrong Mary Brown but I can't find a marriage so it is either wrong or he lived in sin. No idea on what happened to Eliza. I did think she may have remarried a Charles Jones but haven't followed that up yet to see if I am right.

I'm off to bed so will check in sometime tomorrow.