PDA

View Full Version : Will help please!

ElizabethHerts
16-11-11, 08:16
I have transcribed most of a will from 1665 but now need help with one or two difficult parts.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/lambelizabeth/scan0006.jpg

The part I need help is the fourth line from the bottom. This is what I have so far:

"...Item I give and bequeath unto my Sonne William Ayling’s three daughters Mary Ann and Elizabeth the sume of twenty marks a piece to be payd them when they shall accomplish their severall ages of one and Twenty years or bee marryed which shall first happen which such ? and interest as my executors hereafter named can make of it from and after my decease until ye several times of payment as it is above written ..."

I'd value the opinion of someone else because I'm having trouble here!

I'm going off to Pilates in half an hour so if I don't reply I'm not ignoring you - will be back after 11 am!

Phoenix
16-11-11, 09:00
wth such use & interest (ie put the money to good use so it makes a decent return)

ElizabethHerts
16-11-11, 10:15
Thanks so much, Phoenix. I kept wondering what the "which" was and it was "with"!

ElizabethHerts
16-11-11, 10:16
I might have another bit soon - must check and see if I can fathom it out first.

tenterfieldjulie
16-11-11, 10:24
I think you are amazing to read it at all Elizabeth there are so many loops.

ElizabethHerts
16-11-11, 10:29
Julie, when I first started transcribing wills I really struggled, but by reading other transcriptions and with the help of Google I got used to the terminology. It is the older wills like this one which are the most challenging.

ElizabethHerts
16-11-11, 10:49
This is the other query:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc78/lambelizabeth/scan0004.jpg

I have:
"Item I do give unto my sonne William Ayling Twenty Pounds to be paid unto him by my said Executor towards the satisfying of a ffine for that Tenement and /yard land called Rodford whensoever the said fine shall bee required of my said sonne William Ayling to be paid I do publish and declare this to bee an addition to my within written will In witness whereof I have hereunto sett my hand ye nineteenth day of August 1670. Nicholas Ayling his mark In the presence of John Ayling Richard Bridger his mark Thomas Ayling

Probatum fuit / Testamentum? and Codicill anno"

It is the word before "yard" that I can't read.

Also, I'm not sure about the Latin at the bottom.

kiterunner
16-11-11, 10:52
halfe.

Phoenix
16-11-11, 10:53
I can read it okay, but my typing is slow. Any particular bit?

ElizabethHerts
16-11-11, 10:54
Kate, that was quick! Why could I not see that, it now seems so obvious, especially after all the difficult parts I managed!

Many thanks.

ElizabethHerts
16-11-11, 11:01
Phoenix, I have now transcribed all the will except for the line of Latin at the bottom.

It's 750 words long, so I'm pleased I got there in the end.

kiterunner
16-11-11, 11:02
As for the Latin, it means probate was granted on the will and the annexed codicil. There seem to be a lot of matches on Google for Probatum fuit with the word huiusmodi (or hujusmodi) following, which apparently means "of this kind" or "such" so I'm wondering whether it's an abbreviation for that, maybe "hmod"?

ElizabethHerts
16-11-11, 11:08
Thanks, Kate, so I read "annex" wrongly as "anno", which makes sense now. I tried googling for this but didn't do as well as you.

All done now, so thanks for the help I received on this thread. :)