PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry look up please

Lynn the Forest Fan
13-11-11, 07:33
I was looking at the military records that were free on Ancestry yesterday & happened upon one that looked interesting, only for it not to be free :mad:. Could sks please look at it for me?
I was looking for Alfred Henry Barley, born 1864 Barton upon Humber Lincs. The record I found was in the "UK Naval Medal & Award Rolls 1793 - 1992" I have some records for him for WW1 but think this might relate to something before then.
Also if it is not too much, are there any records for George Edward Appleyard (known as Ted) in the same collection? He was born 1917 Barton upon Humber & was in the Navy in WW2

Many thanks

Merry
13-11-11, 08:13
Lynn, I've looked through all the Appleyards, but there doesn't seem to be anything for George.

The entry for Alfred Henry Barley says it's for service 1925 to 1930, which sounds late, but his isn't a common name. There's a separate entry for Alfred H Barley for WW1.

If you need the images for one or both of these, let me know.

The WW1 entry says rank L.S. number J24040 medal ST V B "Acteaon"

It's gobbledegook to me!

ElizabethHerts
13-11-11, 09:24
FMP have this:

British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Transcription
First name(s): Alfred
Last name: BARLEY
Calculated year of birth: 1867
Parish of birth: St Marys
Town of birth: Barton
County of birth: Lincolnshire
Age at attestation: 34 years 1 months
Attestation date: 23 February 1901
Attestation corps: Lincolnshire Regiment
Attestation soldier number: 6739
Discharge rank:
Discharge corps:
Discharge soldier number:
The National Archives reference: WO97 / 4307 / 138

I'm sending you a pm, Lynn.

Lynn the Forest Fan
13-11-11, 14:36
Thanks Elizabeth.
Merry that one would be too late, as Alfred died in 1920. It is a bit odd not to find records for Ted, as he was awarded the George Cross for his part in relieving Malta in WW2

Merry
13-11-11, 16:48
It is a bit odd not to find records for Ted, as he was awarded the George Cross for his part in relieving Malta in WW2

Are you sure it was the GC? I can't see him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_George_Cross_recipients

Lynn the Forest Fan
13-11-11, 21:28
That is odd because I have just read his obit & it isn't mentioned. He did serve in the Navy though aboard HMS Speedy so surely should have some medals.

Merry
14-11-11, 05:53
The WW2 medal roll in that collection only covers the following awards:

Distinguished Service, British Empire, George, Military, Member and Order of British Empire

Lynn the Forest Fan
14-11-11, 06:03
Right, I thought it said campaign medals as well.