PDA

View Full Version : Cheshire Pre Parish Records

Phoenix
11-11-11, 17:11
I have a scoundrel of an ancestor, the aptly named Richard Crymes, who appears in London in the early 1530s and makes powerful friends and bitter enemies.

When he dies, in 1565, he leaves money to the "Crimswych" in Whitton in Cheshire where apparently lots of his kin live.

"Item I will give and bequeath to the churchwardens and p'ishioners of the pishe of Witton in the countie of Chester and to their successore churchwardens & p'ishionrs of the same pishe churche of Witton for the tyme beinge the some of one hundered pounds of Lawfull money of Englande forend uppon condicion that they or there assignes shall from tyme to tyme uppon requeste to them to be made by my executors & there assignes become bounden withe suche sufficient Sureties as my saide executors or theire assignes shall accepte to employe and bestowe the saide one hundered poundes towards the maintenance of the "Crymeswych" and the Bridge of the towne of Northwiche in the saide pishe of Witton as often and when as neede shall require hereafter forevermore.
Item I give and bequeath to and amongste the neareste of my kynnered aswell of my anone Surname as others bothe men and Woman dwellinge in and aboute Northwiche afore saide the some of one hundered poundes of Lawfull money of Englande equally or otheriwse amongeste them to be devided at the discrecion of my executors."

If he is leaving £200 to the town and some of its inhabitants, he might just be the poor boy made good & flaunting his wealth before his still poor relations. But he and someone I assume to be his brother were both apprentices in London, suggesting a bit of money behind them.

Are there good manorial records for this period?

Kit
11-11-11, 20:36
I can't answer your question but why was he a scoundrel?

Phoenix
14-11-11, 16:47
This is one person's take on Richard: http://armchairancestry.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html

He was forever bringing lawsuits or being sued. His possessions at death included the chantry chapel of someone he had fought through the courts (and presumably beaten)

On his death bed he swore he had not stolen a casket containing £500, belonging to his daughter-in-law's family.

Difficult to tell what his personality was as deathbed generosity may be the means to heaven, but I reckon you think Rupert Murdoch or Russian oligarch to get the general picture.

Kit
14-11-11, 22:53
Just looking at that link triggered a few memoires.

I can't yet prove a link but Richard's son Ellis married into what I think is OH's family. A lot of the family seemed to be baptised or buried at Buckland Monachorum.

I'm stuck back in the late 1700`s. I worked forwards from someone who I was told OH was related to, to see if it would help me move forwards but it didn't.

Phoenix
15-11-11, 09:28
Hello, cousin!

Ellis married Agnes Prideaux and her family were just as bad as his.

Kit
16-11-11, 02:13
oops wrong Ellis (aka Elizeus), mine married Maria Drake. (mind you I haven't verified anything so who knows. lol)

* walks off muttering about annoying Drakes *

Phoenix
16-11-11, 09:02
Okay, next generation or so down. But it would still mean there's a link:D

Kit
16-11-11, 09:42
Cool. I have a real in-law on this site!!!

Or I should once I can find out who John Drake's (born I forget when, died 1864) parents are.

Chris in Sussex
17-11-11, 06:34
Phoenix

Don't know if you already know this...

The Manorial Records Register bit for Cheshire hasn't yet been computerised but apparently you can contact the NA for details.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/mdr/
Also click on the bottom two links...Very interesting.

Chris

Phoenix
17-11-11, 17:49
Thank you, Chris! I forget that the MDR is at Kew these days. I must take a look next time I'm there.