PDA

View Full Version : Help deciphering Tasmanian convict record and a question

Just Gillian
09-10-09, 16:00
Do you agree with my interpretation of the words in red and can anyone make out the ?????? bit please?

http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON31-1-40,262,214,C,80

No 2283 Salmon Joseph

Paragraph 1
Line 2 Good character connexions ….
Line 3 Good Single Stated this offence …..
Line 5 real name Salmoni Single?

Paragraph 2
Line 5 Drawing cheques one for £530 and …for £5000 for improper purposes

Line 6 Hard labor on roads for 6 mos …??????? 13th Feby 1841

End – Recommended for a Conditional Pardon for the Australian Colonies 1/7/45 Approved 12 June 1846

This is my first venture into the Tasmanian convict records, but, if you agree with the £5000, would this not be an unusually large sum for someone transported for theft to be able to access?

kiterunner
09-10-09, 16:16
Para 2 line 5 I think it is "drawing 2 cheques one for £530 and the [other] for £5000 for improper purposes".

I haven't managed to decipher the ????? bit yet, but hopefully it will be clearer when I go on my other computer. The rest of the words look right to me how you've done them.

Just Gillian
09-10-09, 16:26
Thanks Kite.

Mary from Italy
09-10-09, 18:58
Line 6

Hard labor on roads for 6 mos. HS? confirmed Malcolms Hut Road Party then? late? reported? ? decision?

Mary from Italy
09-10-09, 19:03
Some useful explanations of the Tas convict records and the abbreviations used, in case you haven't already seen it:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~austashs/convicts/conabbrev.html

kiterunner
09-10-09, 21:57
I'm afraid I can't make out the bits that Mary couldn't, sorry.

Just Gillian
10-10-09, 07:50
Thank you Mary and Kite.

I had been wondering about "deported" but "reported" makes much more sense. I'm not sure there was anywhere to be deported to from Van Diemen's Land!

Thanks for the link to the abbreviations. There don't seem to be many records available online for Tasmania for that period but as Joseph changed his name to Salmon from the more useful Salmoni, I don't suppose I'd have been able to identify him with any certainty anyway.

It's strange that he went in for housebreaking as his father was quite comfortably off.

dukkie
12-10-09, 21:05
Thank you Mary and Kite.

I had been wondering about "deported" but "reported" makes much more sense. I'm not sure there was anywhere to be deported to from Van Diemen's Land!

Thanks for the link to the abbreviations. There don't seem to be many records available online for Tasmania for that period but as Joseph changed his name to Salmon from the more useful Salmoni, I don't suppose I'd have been able to identify him with any certainty anyway.

It's strange that he went in for housebreaking as his father was quite comfortably off.

Not many but some (only few ) convicts could be deported from Van Deiman's Land to Norfolk Island or vis-a-versa.... Norfolk Island was the penal colony for the penal colony!! :D

Just Gillian
13-10-09, 06:50
Thanks Dukkie. I didn't know anything about Norfolk Island so have just googled - the conditions there sound absolutely awful.

Uncle John
13-10-09, 20:44
And now it's an offshore Las Vegas! The Norfolk Island Pine was going to be a source of timber for ships' masts until they discovered it was useless.