PDA

View Full Version : One mystery becomes two

SueinKent
09-10-09, 12:33
Last week I was looking on baptisms on Ancestry and discovered my Great Grandparents had a child whom I knew nothing about, he had slipped through the census. His birth and death were recorded in the same quarter, so intrigued I sent for his birth and death certificate.

Today the birth certificate arrived, the mystery part is, the birth was registered by an aunt, but whose aunt? my G. Grandmother? my G. Grandfather? or the child? the name of the aunt means nothing to me, so another mystery.

I know what I will be doing this afternoon, more digging.

Sue

Merry
09-10-09, 12:38
The aunt of the child, I would think. As well as being a sister of the mother or father, she could be the wife of a brother of the mother or father :)

SueinKent
09-10-09, 12:48
Thanks Merry. I am really intrigued as this woman's name I have never come across. Oh well it will keep me out of mischief for a while lol.

Hopefully the death cert will come tomorrow and I will see who registered the death, I expect it will be the same person. I'm thinking she registered the
birth and death at the same time.

Phoenix
09-10-09, 13:06
Keep us posted, Sue!

I tend to ignore the poor little mites who didn't make it but when a friend sent me an unwanted certificate showing the childhood death of a g g aunt, I found out that the grandmother registered the death, thus clearing up the mystery of who the mother was (as she didn't appear in civil registration & her baptism details were wrong)

SueinKent
09-10-09, 13:11
Will do Phoenix. It was a total surprise to find an aunt had registered the birth, now I'm like a dog with a bone, I can't let go until I find out more about her.

tinkerbe
09-10-09, 19:26
did the mother die at the birth?

SueinKent
10-10-09, 09:34
did the mother die at the birth?

No she didn't die at the birth, she died in 1920 at the age of 49.

The death cert has arrived this morning, the baby died at 2 months old from Bronchitis and his mother registered his death.

I think the aunt who registered the birth is the sister of the baby's father, but I can't find a marriage for her yet.

Nell
11-10-09, 13:38
I found that my gt gt grandmother registered the death of a child, and although it doesn't state the relationship, it confirmed for me that the child's father MUST be gt gt grandmother's brother, which I'd suspected but had no proof of.

Frustratingly I have a gt uncle whose death was registered by his "niece" E.C. Reynolds. But I don't know if her surname was her married or maiden name and of course E.C. could stand for many things!!!!

I know she must be a niece through his wife as he had no nieces. But this was in 1948 and niece's surname and wife's maiden surname were very common so not much help. It doesn't help me to know when his wife died, either!