PDA

View Full Version : Isle of Man Parish Registers with images - FamilySearch

kiterunner
04-11-11, 07:50
I think this is new:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1784428

Not sure whether the index is complete, so if you don't find who you're looking for, you could try browsing the images.

kiterunner
04-11-11, 07:59
Oh, well that's great, it says there are images but it won't let me look at them even if I log in (I've done some transcribing for them but must not have done enough yet!) It seems you have to go to a Family History Centre or be a member of a "sponsoring organization" to view them. I would quite like to see the images because I have an Elizabeth Ann Corris in my tree who married my 3xg-uncle, and I had her down as baptised 18 Sep 1859 Kirk German, daughter of George Corris and Susan Sayle, but the new FamilySearch index shows that baptism as Elizabeth Anne Corris Sayle, same parents' names as I have, and I would like to see what exactly it says on the actual entry. The parents' marriage is shown as taking place in 1856 but then several of their children are indexed as Corris Sayle.

ElizabethHerts
04-11-11, 08:26
Oh, rats. One of my son-in-law's lines comes from the Isle of Man and I was going to see if I could find them.

kiterunner
04-11-11, 08:49
I should think it would be worth looking on the index, though, even though we can't view the images.

kiterunner
04-11-11, 11:14
Hmph, I spent the morning doing some transcribing for FamilySearch to rack up enough points to qualify, and I still can't view the images. It looks as though you can see them if you go to the Isle of Man "iMuseum" but as far as I can see, that means you actually have to go to the Isle of Man, it isn't online, so I'm not sure what the point of that is.

http://www.gov.im/mnh/heritage/library/imuseum.xml

maryphil
30-08-13, 18:28
I've only just joined 30th August 2013 so I don't know if this is all too late but you are the second person on this site in five minutes that I have replied to. I am researching for a friend and her 2XGt Grandmother was Elizabeth Ann Corris daughter of we think George and Ann Corris nee Sayle. Elizabeth Ann married Samuel Sewell from Nottinghamshire, a miner. They had one child on the island John Joseph and the rest of the children were registered in Worksop or Pontefract. My friend's Gt Grandma Sarah Ellen Sewell was the one registered in Worksop.
It would be great to hear from you.
Regards
Mary

kiterunner
30-08-13, 18:35
I believe we are already in touch via ancestry, Mary. You gave me your friend's email address and I am going to get in touch with her but have been away for a few days and will probably need to wait till the school term starts next week to get the chance to put together the stuff that I have about the Sewells, so I was going to wait till then to email your friend.

maryphil
30-08-13, 18:50
That's great it's a small world isn't it? Yes I remember, my friend is so excited especially because I've had really good luck with all her branches. It makes a break from working pre parish registers.
I've been having a look at the Isle of Man Museum website. It's quite good, I am trying to make up my mind whether it's worth a £7 fee to search the newspapers.
Were you aware that there was an Australian author called Peter Corris who when researching his Corris family discovered a link with Fletcher Christian and based a book on it. I tried to contact him through his agent but as yet have not had a reply.
By the way what is a poll and what is the difference between a quick reply and going advanced?
Regards
Mary

kiterunner
30-08-13, 18:55
Were you aware that there was an Australian author called Peter Corris who when researching his Corris family discovered a link with Fletcher Christian and based a book on it. I tried to contact him through his agent but as yet have not had a reply. No, I didn't know about him but it's the Sewells who I am related to.

By the way what is a poll and what is the difference between a quick reply and going advanced?

You can add a poll to a thread if you want the members of the site to vote on an issue - for fun or more seriously - but we don't often use them on here.

The quick reply does not have all the features that are available if you "go advanced" - the easiest way is just to try both and you will see the differences.

There is further information on here:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting