PDA

View Full Version : Half baptized??

Sussex Maid
02-11-11, 23:32
I've just come across the following entry for Sarah Butcher, daughter of John and Sarah and was wondering what it means. I noticed that there are two other entries on the page - for different dates - which also show 'half baptized'

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/browse/view.aspx?dbid=1558&iid=31419_A104198-00001&pid=6452235&ssrc=&fn=Sarah&ln=Butcher&st=g

There is another baptism, 20 May 1832, for a Sarah Butcher, daughter of John and Sarah, with a birth date of Jun 19 1829 which could be the same person but I couldn't see any mention of a previous baptism.

Does anyone know what this means please

Merry
03-11-11, 06:03
I don't know, but the last entry on the page says "Halfbaptised, service concluded Jan 24th 1830" and "By the same" (as in "concluded by the same person") in the end column.

kiterunner
03-11-11, 07:09
I wonder if it means a private baptism, and the concluded part is when they were received into the church?

kiterunner
03-11-11, 07:33
Ah yes, I've found a definition which says that's what it means:

http://www.somersetlarders.com/pages/glossary.php

anne fraser
03-11-11, 07:59
I think we had this before. If a baby was not expected to live they could be given a short baptism by a vicar so they could be buried in consecrated ground. A full baptism involved appointing god parents who offered to bring the baby up as a christian. Sorry I have just read Kite's link which fortunately says the same thing.

Olde Crone
03-11-11, 08:26
To be absolutely pedantic, anyone who has been baptised can baptise someone else in extremis - a midwife for instance could baptise a newborn who was not expected to live, but actually any member of the church, not necessarily a Vicar.

OC

HarrysMum
03-11-11, 09:00
To be absolutely pedantic, anyone who has been baptised can baptise someone else in extremis - a midwife for instance could baptise a newborn who was not expected to live, but actually any member of the church, not necessarily a Vicar.

OC

When we were kids, we'd baptise all the unbaptised local kids so we'd all be friends in heaven.....lol

The joys of childhood...

Sussex Maid
03-11-11, 09:07
Thank you all for your replies and the explanation - have saved the link for future reference.
regards