PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry

KiwiChris
29-10-11, 19:08
Ancestry is driving me nuts. I want to log into Ancestry.co.uk and it keeps defaulting to .au. I have removed cookies and begun again, but it is still doing it.

Any one got any ideas how I can make it go to .uk?

The reason I want to do that is so that I can select UK results only. .au has a tickbox which says Australia and UK results only but for some time now when you tick that you just get the Australian results and no UK results. Because much of what I want to look at is UK based the only option is to wade through the entire list of hits from around the world.

I complained to Ancestry and got a complicated reply which had nothing to do with my question.

kiterunner
29-10-11, 19:15
Do you not get a message up saying that Australian ancestry has the same records as the UK one and giving you the option of "No thanks - continue to the UK site"?

kiterunner
29-10-11, 19:18
This link might do it:
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/HomeRedirect.aspx?pg=home&cid=ca&os=uk

It should have a link saying No thanks continue to ancestry.co.uk at the bottom for you to click on.

KiwiChris
29-10-11, 19:26
No I don't get the option to redirect, but I will bookmark from your link and hopefully that will stay on the UK site!
Thanks Kate.

KiwiChris
29-10-11, 19:28
Yes, that has worked.

Kit
30-10-11, 05:28
I had that problem once Christine. I think I had the UK census search page bookmarked and I went there and then went to the search page. It was difficult and frustrating but it did stop eventually.

KiwiChris
30-10-11, 06:19
I got it sorted with the link that Kate sent me, thanks Toni.

The thing I find really frustrating with the .au site is that when you check the box for Australia and UK only, you just get Australia and no UK. I have twice emailed Ancestry to complain and both times got the exactly the same answer, a lesson on how to search. I know how to search, I just want them to do what they say it does, and give me Australia and UK.
They won't answer the question about why does it say Aus and UK when it is not what it does.

I asked it it was a real person and got exactly the same answer again, so I guess the answer to that is NO!

AAAaaahhhhhhhhh!