PDA

View Full Version : Stepson Scottish 1911 Census

WendyLF
29-10-11, 18:52
I found links in another family tree that are the same as mine and before just adding them to my tree, I decided to rather verify information. Apart from a few holes and incorrect dates, it seems to "tie" up, however, when checking the 1911 census for David Watson b. 5 June 1876 who is with his second wife, Margaret B., the son James listed in the other tree is actually shown as stepson.

I then tried to trace his birth approx. 1906 (as the registration of marriage between David and Margaret shows her as being a spinster and James is the same age as David's son from his 1st marriage).

Searches under her maiden name have revealed that it could actually be a step brother as her mother died when she was about 10 and it appears her father re married in 1895 and a James was born from this marriage.

Any ideas, could her father and new stepmother have "covered" for her or did she take her brother on as a son?

kiterunner
29-10-11, 19:01
Or it could just be a mistake by the census enumerator.

kiterunner
29-10-11, 19:04
Just realised I should double-check - am I right in thinking the 1911 Scottish census is the enumerator's form, not actually the one filled in by the householder?

WendyLF
29-10-11, 19:05
But why would all the other children i.e. his 2 from 1st marriage and their 1 be listed as daughters and son and him added at end as stepson?

kiterunner
29-10-11, 19:14
His children are listed as daughters and son regardless of who their mother was as it is relationship to head.

kiterunner
29-10-11, 22:06
Have you found Margaret's parents on the 1911 census to see if they have a James with them?

WendyLF
29-10-11, 22:29
Cannot find a James with Margaret or David the correct age - viewed 2 of 3 possibles, 1 is the wrong age but looked any way as other person was David, 1 correct age other person Margaret but also not correct family, the 3rd, other person Margaret, but wrong age so did not look.