PDA

View Full Version : What institution is this?

ElizabethHerts
26-10-11, 21:28
I have two boys with the name of WOODGATE here.
It says Royal Navy, but I'm not quite sure what sort of institution it is. This is the first page:

1881 Census

RG11 piece 5643 folio 0 page 1

Here is Walter Woodgate:
1881 Census
WOODGATE, Walter
, Royal Navy at sea
RG11 piece 5643 folio 0 page 6

kiterunner
26-10-11, 22:07
Ancestry has it listed under Miscellaneous - Unknown - District Unknown, and if you click to view description of enumeration district, it doesn't have the description. There is a Q and A about it on Family History Monthly's website which should help (they say it might be Wandsworth and Clapham Union Workhouse):
http://www.familyhistorymonthly.com/qanda-detail/64

Margaret in Burton
27-10-11, 06:37
Elizabeth

Do any of your Woodgate's come from Suffolk?

ElizabethHerts
27-10-11, 07:26
Thanks, Kate.

FMP have it under "Royal Navy at sea" but it is very evident from the people in the institution that they are not at sea, and it is a very diverse group of people.

Marg, the Woodgates aren't in my tree. My daughter and her husband bought a bible in a charity shop and I am investigating the family mentioned.

"Percy Morgan and
Matilda Eleanor Collyer
Mountain

married April 18, 1894

with best wishes and affectionate regards
from Revd. Edwd Stevens
Sibford Gower Vicarage"

Matilda Mountain was Matilda Ellen (not Eleanor on birth reg.) Collyer Woodgate.

As far as I can establish so far, this Woodgate family came from Middlesex.

ElizabethHerts
27-10-11, 07:33
I have now read that this is a miscellaneous collection of entries - in other words, I think that some pages are from one institution and others from a different one. I don't think I'll find out in a hurry.