PDA

View Full Version : George Cummings's Birth what am I doing wrong?

WendyLF
24-10-11, 18:56
Thanks :Dto help in a previous thread "Was George Dudgeon Cummings born in Scotland?", http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12150
we located George and his wife Mary in the Scottish 1881 Census, which states his birth place as England not Edinburgh as the later 2 do. BUT, I just cannot trace his birth, I had a feeling before that he may not have been born in Scotland and had searched via GU the English records for both his birth and parents? marriage to no avail, spent the weekend re doing the searches but no luck:mad: any suggestions?

kiterunner
24-10-11, 19:26
When you say GU, do you mean Genes Reunited? It's maybe not the best site for searching for BMD's; I would try on FreeBMD as well if I were you. But I had a look before and had no luck. It could be that his birth wasn't registered, or it could be that it was registered but not under the name George Dudgeon Cummings.

WendyLF
24-10-11, 19:46
Sorry yes Genes Reunited also checked FreeBMD to no avail. Even excluding Dudgeon on GR via census search and viewing images has proved not to be a success. A possible, has proved just as difficult as I cannot trace later/earlier census history on any part of the family (i.e. with a link to at least one other). George's father is described as a Sculptor/Architect on the marriage and death extracts, I tried a search of English Sculptors/Architects similar to the Scottish one I found but still no success............

WendyLF
24-10-11, 19:49
PS.. Mailed SP about the Cunnings vs Cummings transcription error in 1881, apparently the person on the other side agreed and was going to forward to relevant person(s)

Merry
25-10-11, 07:40
Maybe he began life as George Dudgeon rather than George D Cummings?

Libby9
25-10-11, 12:46
This baptism looks interesting as parents names match.

George Dudgeon Gunn, born abt 1854, baptised 25 Jun 1854, parents John Gudgeon Gunn and Catherine at St Botolph Withouth Aldgate, address 13, Queen St, Tower Hill, father's occ. Labourer

If not your chap, maybe related?

Libby9
25-10-11, 12:52
Birth in GRO

George Dudgon [sic] Gunn Gunn, Jul - Sept 1854, Whitechapel, 1c/379

WendyLF
25-10-11, 16:15
This baptism looks interesting as parents names match.

George Dudgeon Gunn, born abt 1854, baptised 25 Jun 1854, parents John Gudgeon Gunn and Catherine at St Botolph Withouth Aldgate, address 13, Queen St, Tower Hill, father's occ. Labourer

If not your chap, maybe related?

Have looked at this one and also wondered, did a quick search but could not trace a marriage for the parents at least with reference to "Davis" - possible maiden name for Catherine or any ref. to Cummings apart from births in Jamaica but they are much later.:(

WendyLF
16-01-12, 22:43
Frustration continues............but, while researching another side (My Catherine McCowan/Owan/Evan) the scottish family, I found a sight researching "Gowan" which is somehow linked via a shared image of George's (George Dudgeon Cummings - Another post of mine,) -supposed birth.

What is the correct way of addressing someone to ask them, whether they have proof - other than a census - that does not tie up to my marriage and death.
i.e. How did they came to a conclusion?

kiterunner
16-01-12, 22:50
It might be easier to advise if you can post a link to the site you mention.

WendyLF
16-01-12, 22:57
http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/25980284/media/b1220705-ab78-45e8-85e7-2ef27d5347af
Don't know if this will link..... I tried to see the link (only subscribed for a month Sunday last so still trying to work out site)

kiterunner
17-01-12, 07:02
I can't see anything in the Gowan tree which suggests that it's your George Dudgeon Cumming, nor in the other public tree that the image is linked to. :confused:

WendyLF
17-01-12, 14:46
In the Gowan tree, they have his spouse and children correct i.e. for my George, but his parents names on the Gowan tree differ to what is on the marriage register and death register that I have and they actually refer to this:
"On different certificates parents are given as John Cummings and Catherine Dudgeon or John Dudgeon Cummings and Catherine Davies"
(but then the mother's maiden name also differs on these two).

kiterunner
17-01-12, 17:24
Oh, that's on a different tree. I suppose I would contact them and just ask how they know that it's the same George on the marriage and the birth?