PDA

View Full Version : Question about apprenticeships (sorry, McCrery again!)

Merry
08-10-09, 10:15
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

Robert and Susannah McCrery had three sons, probably born between 1759 and 1765. These three boys were left money by their maternal grandfather for them to be apprenticed, (with the proviso that their mother didn't live with their father!). I don't know if this happened (either the split of the parents or the apprenticeship of the boys!), but the only son I've traced later became a tin merchant and lamp maker in Bloomsbury.

Is it a completely hopeless cause to find out if the sons were apprenticed? I don't know where any of them were born or exactly when, just the rough dates above. It's likely they lived on the Beds/Herts border or in Bedford itself, but I don't have any way to confirm this.

Phoenix
08-10-09, 10:59
Origins has the indexes that the SoG hold. If stamp duty were paid on the apprenticeships - ie not paupers & not apprenticed informally to family members, then they may well appear there.
Be warned, though. Those indexes were done on a Soundex system. They assumed what the "true" form of the name was and lumped all the variants under it. So Filips would be under Philips, Smythe under Smith etc.

If they became London freemen, there might be addition records amongst various livery companies.

There's a slim volume published of Guildford freemen, so there may be something similar in Beds records

Merry
08-10-09, 11:10
Origins has the indexes that the SoG hold.

Do you mean British Origins?

I put the name in their search, but it would only allow me to look at the Irish results, not the British or Scots ones and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

kiterunner
08-10-09, 11:12
Ooh, I get the same thing when I try it, Merry. That's weird.

Merry
08-10-09, 11:13
Must be the McCrery curse again :rolleyes:

Phoenix
08-10-09, 12:54
Weird! I can't do it either.

Mary from Italy
08-10-09, 16:59
You could try Beds Record Office - they may have an apprenticeship index.

Uncle John
08-10-09, 18:57
Here's the link!
http://www.bedfordshire.gov.uk/CommunityAndLiving/ArchivesAndRecordOffice/ArchivesAndRecordOffice.aspx

Merry
08-10-09, 20:31
Thanks Uncle John! That's the site where all the text is invisible! lol Just so long as I remember to highlight everything so I can read it.