PDA

View Full Version : Deciphering help, please

Mary from Italy
22-10-11, 20:42
I'm having a very fruitful weekend going through the new Warwickshire records on Ancestry.

I've already found quite a bit of stuff, and I've now come across a marriage which is definitely mine, but I can't make out the wife's surname.

It's the marriage of Timothy Russell (mistranscribed as Richell) and Elizabeth ? in Shilton on 15th November 1736:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2416&iid=4290817_00042&fn=Elizabeth&ln=Shetton&st=d&ssrc=&pid=10195685

Ancestry has transcribed her surname as Shetton, and a submitted entry in the IGI says Hatton or Hotton.

At the end of the next page there's a burial for "Widdow" somebody who appears to have the same surname.

I'm guessing it might be Stretton, but I can't find a baptism under that name in Shilton, which I assume was the bride's parish, as Timothy was from Hopsford, and baptised in Withybrook (not far away), although he gave his parish as Shilton when they got married.

Any thoughts?

kiterunner
22-10-11, 21:57
It looks like Stretton to me, Mary.

Mary from Italy
22-10-11, 22:14
OK, thanks for the confirmation :)

Nell
22-10-11, 22:14
I agree, the Sh in Shilton is quite different, and Stretton is the only option that sounds plausible.

Mary from Italy
22-10-11, 22:39
Thanks, Nell. It's annoying me that I can't find a baptism for her, but there are some very poor transcriptions in these records, so she may be there somewhere.

Mary from Italy
22-10-11, 22:41
If anyone wants to do some more deciphering, there's another one I'm having trouble with, but it's probably impossible.

Marriage of John Collidge to Anne ? in Churchover, 1665:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2416&iid=4290941_00197&fn=John&ln=Collidge&st=d&ssrc=&pid=4352752

I'm guessing her surname might be Sibbert or Gilbert or similar, and the next word is the month (November?), but I really haven't a clue. Ancestry has transcribed her surname as Nobbe, and a submitted entry on the IGI has Gilbert.

kiterunner
22-10-11, 22:44
It's Gibbert - the first letter is the same as the first letter of George and completely different from the first letter of Henry. The month is Novem.

Mary from Italy
22-10-11, 22:50
Ooh, well done Kite, thanks. You're very good at this :) I've finally found another G on the page to compare it with, and I'm sure you're right.

markdr
06-11-11, 19:19
Hi Mary

It looks like you are researching a similar area to me.

I have Elizabeth as Elizabeth Shotton and also Ann Colledge (nee Gilbert).

I don't know or not if you are following the Russell line but I have made really good progress this weekend finding Timothy's birth Withybrook 1699, his father being Timothy born Ansty 1659 and his grandfather being Thomas.

Would you have any more information on this?

Regards

Mark

Mary from Italy
06-11-11, 21:25
Hi Mark,

Yes, I'm following the Russells, because I'm descended from Elizabeth Russell (c. 1738-1808) who married William Slingsby of Bulkington in 1759.

I'd got as far back as the Timothy baptised in Withybrook in 1699, but not his father's baptism.

I'll send you a PM.

Mary