PDA

View Full Version : Foster parent

Muggins in Sussex
22-10-11, 11:49
What would the term "foster-parent" have meant in 1919? - was there any formal system of fostering children, or would it just refer to a child who had been "taken in" by a relative (for example)?

Thanks

Tilly Mint
22-10-11, 11:59
Oooh Joan, i was thinking the same last night!!

I want to know who looked after my dad when he became orphaned at 11 yrs of age.........

Merry
22-10-11, 11:59
I wonder who this thread is about?!!!

Just to clarify, currently the official meaning of the word foster is to give parental care though not related by blood or legal ties. So we wouldn't normally foster a relative, but I would imagine even now people do use the word to refer to a relative where there has been no adoption. I would guess historically the word 'foster' might have been used even more losely, especially before the concept of official adoption had come about (in the late 1920s)

Muggins in Sussex
22-10-11, 12:05
I wonder who this thread is about?!!!

LOL Merry :d

Just to clarify, currently the official meaning of the word foster is to give parental care though not related by blood or legal ties. So we wouldn't normally foster a relative, but I would imagine even now people do use the word to refer to a relative where there has been no adoption. I would guess historically the word 'foster' might have been used even more losely, especially before the concept of official adoption had come about (in the late 1920s)

Thanks Merry - (I found the term in a newspaper article dated 1934, although it would have referred to a "fostering" in 1919, I think)
So I guess I can't exclude the possibility that the "foster-parents" were relatives of the fostered child.

maggie_4_7
22-10-11, 12:15
I think any people that were looking after children that weren't there own would be classed or called Foster Parents and they could be children related and children that are not.

Sorry Joan but in 1919 the term could mean anything to be honest where is it that you've seen the term foster parents i.e. official documents?

Edit to say:

Sorry Joan I now see it was newspaper article - well they would have taken that information from whoever they were asking and no it wouldn't rule out that the child was related to the foster parents in question but by the same token the child might not have been related.

Muggins in Sussex
22-10-11, 12:21
I think any people that were looking after children that weren't there own would be classed or called Foster Parents and they could be children related and children that are not.

Sorry Joan but in 1919 the term could mean anything to be honest

Thanks Maggie

I am clutching at straws, I know.

maggie_4_7
22-10-11, 12:23
Yes sorry Joan I edited my post above I must learn to read all posts in thread before responding!

Muggins in Sussex
22-10-11, 12:31
Yes sorry Joan I edited my post above I must learn to read all posts in thread before responding!

LOL - I've edited mine, too :d:d:d:d - and thanks for your reply ;)-the straw I am clutching at just gets thinner :d:d:d:d

Nell
22-10-11, 16:39
Joan

When straws are all you have, you have to clutch them!

Muggins in Sussex
22-10-11, 18:24
Joan

When straws are all you have, you have to clutch them!

LOL Nell! :d - I just wish that straws weren't bendy :d:d:d

Phoenix
25-10-11, 09:35
Joan, I went to a talk on adoption pre 1920s, and believe me I thought of you!

In a nutshell, NOTHING relieved parents & guardians of their rights in a child. Even documents drawn up by lawyers, childrens' societies etc had no weight, though it would be possible, after the act, to formalise the situation.

So, unfortunately, as others have said, fostering could cover anything.

Kit
26-10-11, 11:17
Joan has something new triggered this question or revision of old stuff?

Muggins in Sussex
27-10-11, 05:36
Joan, I went to a talk on adoption pre 1920s, and believe me I thought of you!

In a nutshell, NOTHING relieved parents & guardians of their rights in a child. Even documents drawn up by lawyers, childrens' societies etc had no weight, though it would be possible, after the act, to formalise the situation.

So, unfortunately, as others have said, fostering could cover anything.

Thanks for that Phoenix

Joan has something new triggered this question or revision of old stuff?

No Kit - sadly nothing new -just going over old ground for the umpteenth time!

I have always had the feeling that the answer to it all is staring me in the face, and it will suddenly jump out at me :d:d:d

Kit
28-10-11, 06:02
I have always had the feeling that the answer to it all is staring me in the face, and it will suddenly jump out at me :d:d:d

You never know Joan. I have had info and relooked at it and suddenly I realise there is something I didn't know in there. I so hope you find something soon.

Muggins in Sussex
29-10-11, 05:17
Thanks Toni :)

So do I! :)