PDA

View Full Version : Are the Aussies up yet?

KiwiChris
21-10-11, 20:17
I am trying to find something/anything about Mr HJ Carter of Wahroonga NSW. He was probably still alive in 1928 when his sister died in NZ. He is bound to be dead now though or very very old as she was b 1860.

What electorate or registration district would that be so that I can narrow down the options on the electoral roll and death registers??

HarrysMum
21-10-11, 20:44
Sorry Chris...I don't have Ancestry to look it up...

Wahroonga is currently in Bradfield, but as Mr Bradfield hadn't done his best work back then, I doubt he had an electorate named after him until recently....

It is in Sydney though if that's any help.

KiwiChris
21-10-11, 21:13
I have found my man, thanks Libby. I had imagined that H was most likely Henry but in fact it was Herbert, and I found Herbert in the Australian Dictionary of Biography!

Woohoo, I have been chasing his sister for ages and she did not want to be found, but I have her neatly identified now!

HarrysMum
21-10-11, 21:32
Good work!!!

tenterfieldjulie
21-10-11, 22:40
Good work Chris. Wahroonga has always been a very wealthy area, so unless he was employed in one of the mansions, I'd say he had mega bucks.

KiwiChris
21-10-11, 22:47
Here he is, most likely megabucks!

Herbert James CARTER
(1881) BA Cambridge, assistant master Trent college Derbyshire
(1909) schoolmaster of Darling Point NSW
30 years master Sydney grammar school
12 years principal Ascham school for girls
president Linnean society NSW
baptised 20 Jun 1858 Preshute died Apr 1940 age 81 Wahroonga NSW
married 21 Dec 1882 Sydney NSW, Antoinetta Charlotte MOORE

His sister was a Deaconess in the church here in NZ and died in a Flu epidemic.

It is interesting how you often have to go around in a big circle to end up where you want to be! I could not find her anywhere, but once I had her brother, there she was sitting waiting for me!

tenterfieldjulie
21-10-11, 23:10
You should be able to find quite a lot of info on him with that sort of background. If you contacted Ascham Old Girl's Association you would probably find that they have quite a pedigree on him.

Kit
22-10-11, 01:25
The registration districts change quite regularly so knowing what one they lived in at a particular time wouldn't really help. I've had people live at the same address for years but you wouldn't know it by looking at the electoral district they were in.

I'm glad you found your man and his sister.

HarrysMum
22-10-11, 01:41
Megabucks!!!!!

KiwiChris
22-10-11, 02:45
I am interested to know where the money came from, his father was a farm bailiff in 1861 which I would not have thought placed him amongst the mega wealthy, certainly not landed gentry, and yet Herbert was Cambridge educated and did very well for himself.

marquette
22-10-11, 06:15
Sorry I was up but son had an early baseball game, so we were out and about by 8am.

There's a very nice obituary for HJ in to be found in the TROVE website - in the SMH for 24 Apr 1940.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/17646723?searchTerm=herbert james carter&searchLimits=

Further TROVE articles indicate he was elected President of the Linnean Society in 1925, was an editor of the Illustrated Australian Encyclopaedia, very interested and knowledgable about insects, and a friend of Sir Edgeworth David.

The Linnean Society might have some archives. Also you might find some of his journal articles in some of the scientific journals (Gale databases ?) I will check.

Di

marquette
22-10-11, 06:30
http://www.fond4beetles.com/Buprestidae/Publications/Carterpubs.html

This link gives a list of articles on COLEOPTRA written by H.J. Carter.

http://linneansocietynsw.org.au/auth_c_d.html

This one links to the articles published by the Linnean Society of NSW.

All you wanted to know about beetles and more ......

Di

tenterfieldjulie
22-10-11, 07:13
Chris, As you feel HJ Carter's father wouldn't have the means for him to go to Cambridge, it might be worth looking into Trent College and it's main founder. It might be that HJ Carter was a bright student at the College and it's philanthropic founder sponsored him (if that is the right word) to Cambridge. Then afterwards (here at least) former students return as junior masters to their Alma Mater. From what I read, Trent College, according to it's history, was an outstanding and unique college (in the Midlands) in it's day.

KiwiChris
22-10-11, 07:39
I do have the feeling that someone must have sponsored him for him to get to Cambridge. He was obviously very bright and I guess well paid in his teaching positions in Sydney. He certainly did well for himself and sounds like an interesting person.

Mary from Italy
22-10-11, 11:19
This is his bio from the Cambridge Uni database on Ancestry in case you didn't have it:

Cambridge University Alumni, 1261-1900

Name: Herbert James. Carter
College: JESUS
Entered: Michs. 1877
Born: 23 Apr 1858
More Information: Adm. pens. (age 19) at JESUS, Oct. 1, 1877. S. of James, Esq. B. Apr. 23, 1858, at Marlborough. School, Aldenham Grammar (Mr J. Kennedy). Matric. Michs. 1877; Scholar; B.A. 1881. Assistant Master at Sydney Grammar School, N.S.W., 1882-1902. Principal of Ascham School, Sydney, 1902-14. President of the Linnean Society, N.S.W., 1925-6. Of Garrawilla, Wahroonga, Sydney. Married and had issue. Author, Gulliver in the Bush; science editor of Angus and Robertson's Encyclopaedia of Australia. (Aldenham Sch. Reg.; Who's Who, 1939.)

Mary from Italy
22-10-11, 11:21
According to Wikipedia, Aldenham was a fee-paying grammar school. No idea if scholarships would have been available.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldenham_School

I suppose you've seen his Wikipedia entry?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_James_Carter

Merry
22-10-11, 13:45
His father's estate was worth just under ?3,000 in 1897.

marquette
22-10-11, 23:00
If his father was "James, Esq" and left an estate of 3000 pounds, then he was quite well off for a farm bailiff. Perhaps he invested his money wisely, or had some private income.

Di

tenterfieldjulie
22-10-11, 23:20
Or he married money?

KiwiChris
23-10-11, 00:29
By 1881 James esq was a hotel keeper and farmer, so there was some money there.
Herbert seems to have been the only son although the girls were educated as well, as Marian Ada, the one I was interested in, was a teacher and began Killarney Private school in Mossman and was Principal of an Anglican Hostel for girls in Stanmore before she came to New Zealand and joined the church as a Deaconess, she worked amongst Maori in a remote area of this diocese before she died of the flu. She was buried in the local Maori graveyard at the request of the local people.

Kit
23-10-11, 23:55
The spelling may have changed but it is Mosman, not Mossman.