PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte unknown

Lindsay
21-10-11, 18:08
Link to TOGG3 thread for her daughter Sarah Biggs: http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8145&highlight=sarah+biggs

Name - "official" name and what they were known as
Charlotte Edmonds
Date and place of birth
Amersham, Bucks.
Names of parents and Date and place of baptism - if applicable
Amersham, Bucks, 7 June 1793. Parents William Edmonds and Kezia (nee Holding).
Details of each of his or her marriages - if any
Married Thomas Biggs 5 Feb 1810 at St Martin in the Fields.
Occupation(s) - if any

Addresses where they lived (including county if in UK) - and please list which censuses you have or haven't found him/her on (if s/he lived in census times!).
1841 - staying with Sarah and her husband in Paul Street, Shoreditch as Sarah had just had a baby.
1851 - 10 Camden Street, Camberwell, Surrey
Date, place and cause of death
24 Oct 1854 in Camden Street; softening of the brain and apoplexy
Date and place of burial.
Details of will / administration of their estate - if applicable
Memorial inscription - if any
All unknown

kiterunner
22-10-11, 22:25
FamilySearch has a marriage between a Thomas Biggs and Charlotte Edmonds 5 Feb 1810 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster.

Lindsay
23-10-11, 08:48
Yes, I've wondered about that one in the past. But I don't feel I can claim it until I get some sort of evidence to back it up - the first possible baptism I have for them as a couple is 1822.

I suppose I could start to look to see if there's a Charlotte Edmonds born in Bucks at the right time...

Asa
23-10-11, 10:51
Familysearch has this baptism which might be worth looking into? -

Sarah Biggs
England and Wales, Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8)
christening: 15 Aug 1811 Deptford,​ London
parents: Thomas Biggs,​ Charlotte Biggs

Sarah Biggs
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
birth: 01 Apr 1811
christening: 15 Aug 1811 MEDWAY PLACE INDEPENDNT,​DEPTFORD,​KENT,​ENGLAND
residence: 1811 Kent,​ England
parents: Thos. Biggs,​ Charlotte

Lindsay
23-10-11, 17:09
Ooh, I haven't seen that one before, Asa - thanks for looking.

I'll have a look to see if I can find anything else in that area for that couple. The problem is that Sarah always says she was born Shoreditch, about 1813, and her death cert gives her age in years and months too.

I just find it very odd that there are so many years with no baptisms for children of Thomas and Charlotte.

Lindsay
25-10-11, 10:23
Wel, that 1810 Thomas Biggs / Charlotte Edmonds marriage is looking much more likely after looking at the new FamilySearch! :)

Charlotte Edmonds was born in Bucks in 1793 (like my Charlotte)
Her mother was called Kezia (my Charlotte had a daughter Kezia)

I'm going to look more closely at the baptism Asa found next - it's beginning to look as if this family might have moved around a bit.

Lindsay
28-12-13, 18:01
A quick update, as I've found out more info.

Charlotte Edmonds, baptised Amersham, Bucks, 7 June 1793. Parents William Edmonds and Kezia (nee Holding). The family moved to Streatham, in London, soon after Charlotte's birth.

Married Thomas Biggs 5 Feb 1810 at St Martin in the Fields, Westminster.

They were nonconformists and presumably most of their children's baptisms haven't survived, as there are several burials for children without matching baptisms. The one Asa found, Sarah bap.15 Aug 1811, was their eldest daughter. The chapel is listed as Deptford, but in the early 19th century was actually Bury Street, St Mary Axe in London.