PDA

View Full Version : Help before I tear my hair out!!

Merry
18-10-11, 10:40
Research for a friend so nothing to add to BK6

This man:

Deaths Dec 1901
KINAHAN Charles James 60 St. Geo. H. Sq. 1a 308

was married to a rich widow in 1882. Her first husband left 'under ?350,000' in 1879 and as they had no children I guess the chances are she had a good swathe of it.

Mrs Kinahan died in 1892 and her estate was valued at about ?100,000 so she spent some, but not all!

I feel sure Mr Kinahan left a will too, but I cannot find anything. I realise he died during one of Ancestry's gaps in the Probate Index, but I looked at the K stuff in the death duty registers and couldn't see anything.

Does anyone else have access to FMP who could have a second check? (there's not many Ks each year!)

ElizabethHerts
18-10-11, 11:10
Merry, I can't see anything. Just Richard Kinahan in 1902, I think.

Merry
18-10-11, 11:52
Drat - thanks for looking Libby.

I wonder if his will was proved in Ireland? His family were from County Down, but most of them seem to have migrated to England.

ElizabethHerts
18-10-11, 11:57
Drat - thanks for looking Libby.

:d:d

Merry
18-10-11, 14:11
Ooops :o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Thanks Elizabeth :D

JBee
19-10-11, 12:21
Don't they have different rules of inheritance in Ireland??? ie eldest son inherits lands etc

Merry
19-10-11, 13:52
Goodness knows. However this man didn't have any children and he was a fourth son himself....

Does anyone know if it might be possible for him to appear in the Nat Probate Calendar, but not in the death duty registers? (might that happen if it was just an administration?)

Phoenix
19-10-11, 15:06
Goodness knows. However this man didn't have any children and he was a fourth son himself....

Does anyone know if it might be possible for him to appear in the Nat Probate Calendar, but not in the death duty registers? (might that happen if it was just an administration?)

This would only happen if his estate was too small to attract duty.

Phoenix
19-10-11, 15:12
Bear in mind that the rich widow may have been left money in trust, rather than absolutely, which might account for the differences in the values of the estates. And she might have left her second husband an annuity, or given it to a cats' home!

I once overheard two women saying "Why did she only leave ?2000 when she had inherited ?5000? What happened to the rest of the money?" They weren't impressed when I chipped in to suggest she might have spent it:d

kiterunner
19-10-11, 16:06
Hmmm, maybe everything that we know about the Index to Death Duty Registers is wrong. :confused:

I just happened to pop into the Notts Archives for a quick visit and while I was there, found this:

National Probate Calendar 1901
KINAHAN Charles James of 90 Piccadilly and of the Junior Carlton Club both in Middlesex died 28 October 1901 at 90 Piccadilly Probate London 19 November to Frederick Kinahan esquire and Richard George Kinahan retired vice-admiral from the Royal Navy
Effects 57438 3s 2d.

(For some reason when I put a pound sign before that amount of money it keeps displaying as a question mark! Anyway, take it there should be a pound sign)

ElizabethHerts
19-10-11, 16:20
Good result, KiteRunner!

*Off to check whether my eyes need testing!*

Phoenix
19-10-11, 16:22
You are getting perilously close to the end of the surviving death duty registers. I've never checked to see if wills & ddrs are all in the same year. Is it possible that his will was complex, so recorded under the new rather than the old system?

kiterunner
19-10-11, 16:24
Yes, I was just wondering that - could it be that they were still arguing over the death duties after 1903?

ElizabethHerts
19-10-11, 16:25
Still found nothing in the Death Duty Registers for 1901.

In a way I'm relieved, but also confused!

Phoenix
19-10-11, 16:29
Years ago I heard a talk on the subject and I cannot now remember if they said that EVERYTHING stopped in 1903, or if notes and amendments continued in the old registers. If people received money in tranches, then the tax was paid each time a little was released.

Phoenix
19-10-11, 16:38
I think there's a page missing off fmp. Page 6 (misc Kin*) only goes up to summer deaths and says cont at the bottom.

Merry
19-10-11, 16:40
That is so kind of you to check for me, Kate :D Thank you so much!

That's a really good point about death duties being paid later and so possibly exceeding the 1903 cut off.

I am probably going to have to get a copy of his will to see who got the money next!

Thanks everyone :D

Phoenix
19-10-11, 16:51
Found him! (Under Kir:confused:) so I've sent you the image.

Merry
19-10-11, 18:58
Wow, thanks Phoenix!!!

Which year was that? 1901?? :o:o:o