PDA

View Full Version : Last chance saloon....

Merry
07-10-09, 17:40
Link to this thread added to BK6

All my traceable McCrery lines seem to die out (stop cheering!)

This is the last living one (mother a McCrery) and I don't think he married or had children, but there's something amiss in 1891 and wondered if anyone can sort it out, as I can't get into Ancestry, so this is from memory!

Births Sep 1852
Rain William McCrery Islington 1b 194

Deaths Mar 1904
Rain William McCrery 51 Hackney 1b 293

There's no marriage that I can see, but in 1891 he seems to be living with someone called Julia Rain (no children and he could be the wrong William as the place of birth info is vague). I can't find him in 1901 and in 1881 the best fit is a male servant, unmarried. Before that (1871) he was a furrier as his father had been.

Can anyone work out who Julia is and find anything in 1901 to help me?

Just tried Ancestry again, but it's not letting me in because it says I'm signed on elsewhere, which I'm not!! *sigh* In any case, I was stuck with this yesterday - it's just that i can't give you the census refs at the moment.

kiterunner
07-10-09, 22:10
Oh, I hate it when ancestry does that to me, Merry. Usually it's if I've been jumping between .com and co.uk on the desktop, laptop and pocketsurfer. It should let you back on after half an hour.

So, it's no. 7 Gas House Road, Reigate Surrey
William Moore Head M 64 Gardener Herts Ware
Elizabeth Do Wife M 62 Berks Watcham(?)
William Rain Lodger M 38 (something very short crossed through for occupation) London Islington
Julia Rain Lodger M 29 Kent Cowden(?)

kiterunner
07-10-09, 22:13
Hmm, there is a Julia Mothersole age 20 and born Cowden, Kent, on the 1881 census, unmarried and working as a servant in Croydon. Whereabouts was William working? (Oh, I see, in London, I was hoping it would be Croydon!)

kiterunner
07-10-09, 22:19
And to save you the trouble of looking for that Julia in 1871, she is down as Julie A Mothersole age 10, born Kent, scholar, visitor with a George and Harriet Wale in Greenwich.

kiterunner
07-10-09, 22:22
Birth registered Sevenoaks district Jun 1861 Julia Ann Mothersote, but it's one of those typed up pages which would have replaced a handwritten one, so I expect the original page said Mothersole.

kiterunner
07-10-09, 22:31
You'll like this, Merry - they're listed as "Pain" on ancestry in 1901! It does actually look like Pain on the image, to be fair. Given what it says for his birthplace, I suspect his writing on the form was hard to read and the enumerator copied it out wrong.

138 Northwold Road, Hackney
William McC Pain Head M 47 Farrier's Warehouseman Tedington Midx
Julia A Do Wife M 35 Cowden Kent
William R Wiseman Boarder S 27 Shirt(?) Warehouseman Ashford Kent

So it doesn't look likely they had any children that lived.

Merry
08-10-09, 05:49
Oh, well done for finding them Kite! That's great, though not great that the last line seems to have died out. I wonder why they didn't marry?

I'm beginning to think some sort of curse must have been put on this family back in 1758 when my 4xg-grandfather, William Maynard, forbade the marriage of his daughter Susanna to Robert McCrery because she was underage and then, when they married anyway when she was 21, wrote her out of his will unless she left her husband.

You are right, they are a pain though!!

Thanks again, Kite.

Merry
08-10-09, 07:08
William McC Pain Head M 47 Farrier's Warehouseman Tedington Midx

I bet that should say furrier's warehouseman! (it doesn't, but if they were trying to read his dodgy writing!) Same goes for his birthplace - Tedington for Islington?!!

Merry
08-10-09, 07:13
Julia Ann Rain married Percy Baldwin in 1906 and they were together in 1911. Looks as if she never had (surviving) children.

Merry
08-10-09, 07:13
BTW, Ancestry is working perfectly today, but I never did get back in last night.

kiterunner
08-10-09, 07:33
Yes, I'd figured out it should be furrier and Islington; that's why I thought William's handwriting must have been hard to read. I did spot Julia Ann Baldwin on the 1911 but didn't get round to looking for that marriage.

Shame the line died out.

Merry
08-10-09, 10:07
The original Robert and Susannah had three sons. I think one died, one went 'across the sea' (that's my only hope, but as I don't know where he went or if he survived....) and the third one moved to Bloomsbury (i don't know when or where any of those three were born). That third son had five sons of which two survived. These two both married, and each had one daughter. One girl died in her 20's, unmarried, and the other one was the mother of one son, William Mccrery Rain. End of the line.