name: Clara Louisa Smith
burial date: 03 May 1868
burial place: Great Wishford, Wiltshire, England
father's name: Isaac Smith
mother's name: Eliza
indexing project (batch) number: I05032-3
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 1279440

which was a bit offputting as I know she lived to be 93!

So, why have they got a baptism recorded as a burial?

Michael
15-10-11, 20:10
Because they both begin with B, and someone misunderstood what the B stood for?

Elderflower
15-10-11, 23:16
The first entry is from a film of the Parish Register. The second one is from a film of the Bishop's Transcripts. To be sure for yourself you could order the film of the BTs and view it at your local FHS. Then you can see for yourself what is on the film.

Pat

Merry
16-10-11, 08:08
Thanks Pat.

Luckily I don't need to be sure in ths case! My 'local' LDS centre isn't somewhere I can organise getting to very easily. I've only been there once in the 17 years I've been lving here!

I knew the C batch was PRs. On the new site, how do I go about establishing what a batch represents?

Olde Crone
16-10-11, 10:01
I don't like the batch number on the burial entry - to me, any batch number beginning with an "I" is a transcription, done by someone working entirely independently at some time in the past. On the basis of that I would agree with Michael - it's a straightforward misunderstanding by the transcriber.

To work out what a batch represents, click on either the batch number and keep driling down till you get to the truth, lol, or go back to the original site and enter the batch number into the Library catalogue search.

OC

EDIT - having done that, it appears that the I batch number is the original Bishop's Transcript. How very confusing - under the old system only P, C, M, batches could be relied on to be original film.

Lindsay
16-10-11, 10:26
That answers a question I had, because I've recently seen exactly the same - baptism and burial on the same day from C- and I-batches.

Merry
16-10-11, 10:30
To work out what a batch represents, click on either the batch number and keep driling down till you get to the truth

That's what I used to do on the old site, but I can't see how to do it on the new site. I click the batch number and the next page shows me the start of the full batch. What do I click next?

Olde Crone
16-10-11, 10:42
Sorry Merry, no I don't think you can click on the batch number anymore. I tend to still use the old site for as much as I can - there doesn't seem to be a Library tab on the new site, unless it's me being dense again.

(My daughter used to live in Great Wishford which is a tiny, pretty little village, with a church that has a "bread stone" outside, where all the loaves of bread were weighed before selling - why, i do not know!)

OC

Merry
16-10-11, 11:03
Oooh, that's interesting. I know there were v strict laws about bread weights......

Merry
16-10-11, 12:49
If I use the old search to drill down like I used to, the first click just takes me to the same place on the new site:

the next page shows me the start of the full batch

samesizedfeet
16-10-11, 13:34
ANyone know how to add a parent name into a search on the new site? I'm not an internet dummy but I just can't find out how to do it

Mary from Italy
16-10-11, 14:09
From the Advanced Search, click on Relationship and select Parents.

samesizedfeet
16-10-11, 14:17
Now I feel super thick. I looked at the drop down box but didn't actually select an option to see what it did.

THANK YOU!!!

Margaret in Burton
16-10-11, 15:57
Now I feel super thick. I looked at the drop down box but didn't actually select an option to see what it did.

THANK YOU!!!

We've all done the same.

Lindsay
16-10-11, 19:35
Merry,
I just googled and found this site with batch numbers on it:
http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/i060000.htm

My mystery I-batch number is listed as baptisms (not burials which is how it appears when I actually search) but unfortunately I can't see your number on there.

Olde Crone
16-10-11, 20:33
Lindsay

That's a useful site, thankyou!

OC

EDIT - Just had another look at good old Hugh Wallis and he agrees with me (LOL!) that some batches are unreliable - I being one of the unreliable ones. However, I don't know if the LDS have now assigned new I numbers?

(Oh, I hate change! Why couldn't they have left the site alone! I knew what i was doing on there and what I was looking at.)

OC

Merry
16-10-11, 20:40
*adds to favourites* :) Thanks Lindsay :):):)

Margaret in Burton
16-10-11, 21:44
*adds to favourites* :) Thanks Lindsay :):):)

Me too