PDA

View Full Version : Australia again

anne fraser
12-10-11, 09:49
Following on from the challenge I have found this rather colourful character - who said family history was dull. I womder if Australian members can find ony thing else on him. He is my first involuntary emigrant to Australia.

Thanks to this site I think I have got back a coulple more generations with the Wilton's and as George Cox's mother was Elizabeth Wilton he would be part of my tree through his mother as well as through his first wife.

Incidently Weston in this context is a district of Bath. You need to scroll to the top of the screen for the full story.
http://vinyl2.sentex.net/~tcc/cox/HTCCox.html#John_Bromley

HarrysMum
12-10-11, 09:50
Any more info Anne.....

anne fraser
12-10-11, 10:00
I think Henry Thorne Cussens Cox sounds quite a character.

HarrysMum
12-10-11, 10:14
Souds like an interesting fellow. There's a little bit here about a son. Can't remember if that was in your link.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/24714499?searchTerm="henry thorne cussins cox"&searchLimits=

anne fraser
12-10-11, 10:26
thanks Libby. I have just found a Bath site "Bath hundred forum" which might be useful to you Libby.

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-11, 10:57
Anne that is a wonderful record, to find photos as well as all that information. I clicked on guilty and it brought up his conviction. If you clicked on all the links. there must be an amazing amount of information, well done. I think that while there is probably more information out there, I think what you have would be a fairly complete record, unless you are looking for something specific? I haven't looked at Tasmanian records for some time but there is quite a lot of information in the Archives kit from the very early day of settlement to Van Diemens Land.

anne fraser
12-10-11, 11:55
Yes I do think I have plenty to be going on with. You think a story like that might have been handed down the generations. It is my father's family. He always used to remark none of them ever went anywhere!

tenterfieldjulie
12-10-11, 22:09
It is only in the last decade really, that people wanted to acknowledge convict heritage. (Now people claim kinship that is not theirs.) Before, it was well and truly hidden in most cases, except for exceptional people (like Libby's Batman/Bateman). My OH's greatgrandfather, a son of convicts, had a different name on his death cert for his father. It makes you think that most convicts grandchildren were hiding or having the truth hidden from them. Fortunately the marriage cert had the correct parents. Certificates are mostly quite comprehensive here.