PDA

View Full Version : Australian Electoral rolls

Kit
08-10-11, 05:50
these rolls are on ancestry and are now available up to 1980.

1977 for NSW has only partial coverage but so far I have been able to find my parents, aunts and uncles and grandparents and even my older half cousins. :eek:

I feel a bit strange and old that people of my generation are on the rolls. Although there is nearly 20 years difference between me and my eldest cousin and somewhere along the line the voting age was reduced to 18. :)

HarrysMum
08-10-11, 07:26
Gee, Toni........I found myself....lol

marquette
08-10-11, 09:25
Wow, that's great - NSW Rolls have been limited up til now. Do they go further back as well ?

I just found my parents and my in-laws, who lived in the same electorate and are on the same page, as their names are similar. I miss out by one year !!

However, I was able to find the parents of a boy at high school who had the same surname as me. The teachers used to think we were siblings, but now I can find out if we were cousins !

Oh, there are two Rolls for 1977 and I am on the second one but not the first !!!!! But there's a big gap from 1968 to 1977.
Di

HarrysMum
08-10-11, 09:45
I forgot to say I didn't look at NSW. I was only looking at Qld.

Kit
08-10-11, 10:22
Gee, Toni........I found myself....lol

lol I said to my OH that it wont be long before I'm on there at the rate they are jumping years.

Wow, that's great - NSW Rolls have been limited up til now. Do they go further back as well ?

No further back, just more forward.

marquette
08-10-11, 10:34
Thanks Toni

I will be able to trace forward though, and hopefully pick up some cousins born after the limits of the Birth indexes. I can find their marriages up to 1960, lol but not their births. Some late nights I fear.

And no, the boy from school is not related, his ggf was from Ireland (with help from an ancestry tree). But is moderately famous now, being an author of several books, was never sure if it was the same person.

Di

Mary from Italy
08-10-11, 19:46
Ooh, brilliant, thanks Toni - off to have a look.

Janet Chiltern Borders
10-10-11, 15:56
I have looked at the extra rolls now on offer and found another generation which I had down as a possible, but now I know is fact!! Went into burials and found they died in 2006, groan!!

Janet

marquette
10-10-11, 20:23
Janet

You could consult the Ryerson Index (www.ryersonindex.org) and see if they had a death notice -if so, as you are o.s., the kind Ryerson volunteers may look up the notice for you and let you know any rellies mentioned.

Di

Janet Chiltern Borders
10-10-11, 21:26
Janet

You could consult the Ryerson Index (www.ryersonindex.org) and see if they had a death notice -if so, as you are o.s., the kind Ryerson volunteers may look up the notice for you and let you know any rellies mentioned.

Di

Marquette,

Thank you very much for pointing me in that direction. I have found publications in two newspapers on that site and having searched further could find no other information, so I have just sent an e mail requesting help and that has been successfully sent, so now I am just waiting very eagerly for a reply. I may have to be very patient for two months! But it will be worth the wait to see this line through to its conclusion. What a bonus, so thanks to Kit for highlighting the extra Electoral Rolls on Ancestry and thanks to you for this extra information.

Janet

tenterfieldjulie
10-10-11, 21:42
Hoh boy, That is certainly going to make a lot of info available. Thanks Kit.

Kit
11-10-11, 00:13
You're welcome Julie. :)

I only found it by accident. I was just browsing ancestry for someone and it came up with the 1980 roll. So I searched the roll for other relatives, not being game enough to leave the page in case I lost access. I figured it was an error. After a while I had another look and ancestry said that all the extra rolls were available on purpose. Yeah!!

As for papers try this for what you want that is recent. It covers fairfax papers. Sometimes you find something, sometimes not.

Fairfax News Store (http://newsstore.fairfax.com.au/apps/newsSearch.ac?sy=nstore)

Ruthie
11-10-11, 11:17
It would appear that they are available up to 1980 in every state other than Tasmania.

Mary from Italy
11-10-11, 11:39
Very annoying - I was hoping the new registers would solve a mystery, but no luck. It's someone who was born in NSW about 1927, so he should be on all the electoral rolls from about 1949 onwards, but he seems to have vanished into thin air; no death or marriage for him anywhere in Oz either, as far as I can see.

I can only assume that he's still alive and either changed his name or went abroad.

tenterfieldjulie
11-10-11, 11:42
Have you tried NZ Mary? Judy Webster at the State Conference gave a talk on Black Sheep and Disappearing Ancestors and said try there, as there was far more travel than we realise ..

Mary from Italy
11-10-11, 12:10
Yes, I've tried NZ, and even the UK, but still drawn a blank. I know he was alive in 1950, because he's mentioned on his mother's death cert, but nothing after that.

tenterfieldjulie
11-10-11, 23:19
Do you know where he was living? Often times in country towns in those days in Obituaries they named the children and said where they were living. Did she have an obituary?

Mary from Italy
11-10-11, 23:57
They lived in Armidale; according to his mother's death cert he was 22 in 1950, but it doesn't say where he was living. I haven't found an obit for her anywhere. She was widowed and living with a man (presumably as husband and wife) when she died. I suppose her son may have taken his surname, but I still haven't found him under that name.

HarrysMum
12-10-11, 02:36
Mary...flick me a pm with details.....(or have I looked already?)

Mary from Italy
12-10-11, 09:44
Hi Libby, thanks for the offer - I'll PM you.

tenterfieldjulie
13-10-11, 11:33
If Libby can't find anything, I'll ask a friend at the Heritage Centre in Armidale who might be able to help.

Mary from Italy
13-10-11, 17:55
Thanks, Julie, that's very kind of you. I'll send you the details if Libby draws a blank.

HarrysMum
13-10-11, 19:34
Mary......if you don't mind, I can Julie the details. She is good at the Archives kit in our library, however I don't think anything will be that late.

I was going to ask Julie to help me with the local newspapers in our library.

Mary from Italy
13-10-11, 19:42
Fine, thanks very much.

Sunny Kate
14-10-11, 04:13
Well, I found me too but only in the NT for 1972, '77 '80. For some reason I'm not showing on 1968 and yet I was in Orange, NSW for most of the year??
Found OH in Brisbane in 1963 at Enoggera Barracks.
Our names on the NT lists are almost illegible and it's only by knowing where we lived that I knew it was us!

tenterfieldjulie
14-10-11, 04:45
Kate, No wonder other people have trouble finding you, when you have difficulty in finding yourself lol
Libby - Bill O might have a file at Armidale, so I'll have a chat and see if he knows anything. We have the Armidale newspapers on film, but not sure what date they go to. I need a trip to Armidale lol

marquette
14-10-11, 06:24
Well, I found me too but only in the NT for 1972, '77 '80. For some reason I'm not showing on 1968 and yet I was in Orange, NSW for most of the year??
Found OH in Brisbane in 1963 at Enoggera Barracks.
Our names on the NT lists are almost illegible and it's only by knowing where we lived that I knew it was us!

Kate

I think the 1968 Roll would have been compiled during 1967, so maybe you were yet enrolled ?

I know I was only just 18 in the second 1977 roll, and I think they had only just lowered the age limit from 21.

Di

Kit
14-10-11, 12:04
For some reason I'm not showing on 1968 and yet I was in Orange, NSW for most of the year??

I have rellies in Orange and I had problems finding them on some of the new census. I don't think all the years are complete yet.

I know I was only just 18 in the second 1977 roll, and I think they had only just lowered the age limit from 21.

The limit dropped in 1973. I googled as I thought I had the wrong DOB for someone.

Durham Lady
16-10-11, 22:01
Thanks Toni for adding this, I've been able to find the Beckwith, Burden and Edge families in NSW:)

Kit
17-10-11, 02:17
Glad to be of assistance, Daphne.