PDA

View Full Version : Oxfordshire marriage reg??

HarrysMum
02-10-11, 22:30
I have a note on my tree about my 4x great grandfather saying he married in 1795 in Charlbury Oxford.

William Batman and Mary Mobbs.

I know william was born in Yorkshire but he worked in the London area as well as other places so I'm not worried about the distances involved.

Anyone know if there are Oxford marriages online anywhere? I've tried FMP and The Genealogist and FreeReg without finding any.

I'm assuming a family member found it as it has the parish.

ElizabethHerts
03-10-11, 07:20
You must have seen this, Libby:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=marycotter&id=I95321989

I can't see the marriage there, although Mary is given as possibly born in Charlbury.

ElizabethHerts
03-10-11, 07:22
This one too

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~pioneers/pppg5u.htm

which speculates that William and Mary married in London.

HarrysMum
03-10-11, 07:24
Elizabeth.....I don't think I've seen that particular one, but there are plenty around.

I might see if someone has a CD put out by Oxford FH.

Thanks.

Caroline
03-10-11, 08:01
I have had a look on the Oxfordshire Marriage Index CD and there is a William Bateman who married a Mary SMITH in Charlbury on 12th April 1790. No Mary Mobbs marrried anyone with a name even close to Batman/Bateman.

kiterunner
03-10-11, 08:05
Does it say whether Mary Smith was a spinster or widow, Caroline? I'm wondering whether she could be Mary Mobbs but on her second marriage?

HarrysMum
03-10-11, 08:06
Oooh Thanks Caroline.

This tree is all over the place on the web. I think because William goes on to father the founder of Melbourne (John Batman) everyone wants a bit of the limelight.....lol

I have found the actual baptism and I have the death, but the marriage is a bit of a mystery.

HarrysMum
03-10-11, 08:09
Never thought of that Kite........

There is a tree with the first child, Maria, baptised 1793 so I wonder if maybe Maria was born to the possible first husband. She came to Aus with her mother and William and used batman as her name, but that would have been fine. Have to see if I can find that "other" family later.

Caroline
03-10-11, 08:17
Sorry, just changed computers - double checked now and it just gives their names and place of marriage.

Most of the OXF Marriage Index does appear on the old FamilySearch.

I am still looking to see if I have more somewhere - especially as I have Mobbs from Oxfordshire in my own tree.